War of the Ants vs. SNOW

Anyone that owns both Reverselandfill SNOW and LZX War of the Ants or can shed some light on the difference between those noise/texture sources? I’ve seen the video’s and read the descriptions but I’d like to have a better understanding of why you would choose one or the other.

It seems you can achieve similar effects, what are the key differences?

2 Likes

Yeah, two different animals. WOTA is hard to find and SNOW is available for purchase. SNOW has two different noise channels, each with a high-pass out, as well as a comparator output. WOTA integrates well with the H and V processing chains of the Expedition series. It features dual switchable high/low pass filters and also has semi-random lfo that affects the intensity of the noise.

Another noise option is to blend the outputs of a SSF Quantum Rainbow, with a Brownshoesonly video mix. You need to scale the 0-5v signals into 0-1v however you can attain a WOTA-like blend of high-pass (blue/purple) and low-pass (red/pink) noise.

I like all three options. I love the starfields that I can get from the comparator output of SNOW. The only knock on the WOTA is that you can only use it for NTSC/PAL signals, whereas the other two options will integrate with Gen3 HD workflows. I know @Fox is working on a filter module. Once that is released, I’m sure it will pair well with SNOW.

5 Likes

WOTA is a very cool and useful module but something that might affect a decision on whether it’s right for you is that its noise source is very temperature-sensitive, which can be a challenge in poorly ventilated cases or otherwise demanding performance environments. I don’t know if Snow has the same issue. SSF Quantum Rainbow does not (and despite not being video-rate, it’s a great source of horizontal noise bands.)

2 Likes

That is very true regarding the WOTA temperature sensitivity. I often turn my on and let it warm up for a bit synced. Then turn it off for 1min and back on. No issues here with after that process. And if I don’t follow that process the Animation on WOTA will almost always freeze/stop working after 45min-1.5hr. Thereby requiring me to power it down/on anyway then it’s fine again for hours with no issues.

The SNOW does not have sync and has output jacks only.
The WOTA can be modulated with CV, it is a different module altogether.

If you mix two SNOW outputs (one from each channel, with a mixer that has both normal and inverted inputs such as the CMIX) , you get nice layered textures.
The upcoming BLUR module will give you even more ‘depth’, (like depth of field I mean, blurred dots at specific layers)

6 Likes

where you got snow v2 boards for sale.

PM @reverselandfill or ReverseLandfill | Etsy

2 Likes
3 Likes

Would love to see some side by side screenshots of different noise outputs if anyone has both!

1 Like

Different builds of Reverse Landfill Snow can look different depending on the pairs of transistors that are used in it.
I do love mine and it sounds great as an audio noise module.

4 Likes