Vidiot and Visual Cortex not syncing properly

Hello everyone! Need some help troubleshooting my system. Just got my Vessel and put everything in and powered it up. I followed the sample from LZX on a YouTube about running my Vidiot into my Visual Cortex. When I do it looks like it is having issues syncing with each other. The NTSC light is on the VC and the Vidiot is set to NTSC, but the lock light flashes. This creates a flash on the screen that matches the pulse of the lock light. Not sure if it is a power source issue or something else. I put a 8 sec video link for reference of the light flashing. Thanks for any help! New to all this. https://vimeo.com/347199329

1 Like

take a look here specifically at the sync section
there is a vidiot picture that I’ve put up that describes my setup
most of the time the issue with the vidiot has to do with a wrong input / output setup

so the most helpful thing you can do if you aren’t sure would be take a picture of the back of your vidiot with everything plugged in also take a picture of the back of the visual cortex

1 Like

Thank you for the link! I will try that out. I was running the video out of the Vidiot into the video in of the VC. I thought that was how the LZX YouTube video directed set up.

You will also want to connect the sync output from the Cortex to the sync input jack on the back of the Vidiot.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I should be getting my sync cables in soon!

1 Like

You will only need a 2.5mm (1/8") cable for the connection.

I found some extra cables and got the Vidiot synced.
Now I noticed a visual issue. Its not the Vidiot, because I see it with it connected and not, it does it with the Visual Cortex. It is a line on the left side of the screen and the bottom of the screen that is alway there. Does anyone know what could cause it? I wanted to try to have a consistent symmetry with the imagery and this trows it off for me. It smudges the pattern a bit. You can see it in this screen shot. ScreenShotLZXTest

That is odd. Is it there no matter if you are just using the Cortex on its own, patched internally?

Do you see the same issue on multiple displays/recording devices?

I broke it all down and patched it back up with just the VC and don’t see the lines. I will run it back again through the Vidiot and see. Might have bee my Blackmagic too. That thing is a bit quirky.

Just received my Memory Palace, very excited, but one quick syncing question. Do I run sync out from the Visual Cortex to the in/loop thru of the MP then sync out from MP to sync A or B of Vessel? Also do I set it to external on the MP? What do I set loop thru/ext sync/terminate to? I want to be able to also sync my Vidiot to the Vessel A or B sync out for Vidiot use.

Yes, these are the correct connections to use Visual Cortex as your sync source. You want the MP sync source set to EXTERNAL since it’s coming from VC, and you want the loop switch set to THRU since MP is not terminating the sync signal, you are passing that through to the Vessel bulkhead connector. Note that you want to use the two Loop Sync RCA connectors on the Memory Palace, not the Sync Out, since MP is not generating sync in your configuration. This is the same as my setup, except I’m also going THRU a Prismatic Ray after MP before leaving the Vessel. I also just received my MP today and set it up like this (VC → MP → Prismatic Ray → Vessel sync connector → Vidiot). Also make sure you center the MP sliders, with them all pulled to the bottom it’s likely that the image will be out of frame.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for the help!

3 Likes

How do we only need an 1/8" cable for sync between VC and Vidiot? The Sync on the back of Vidiot is an RCA connection. What am I not understanding? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologies, I mis-posted. You’ll want to use the RCA video input. Vidiot cannot receive sync via the 1/8" luma input on the back.

1 Like

Hello, I have a few questions I’ve been trying to understand about the syncing the Vidiot’s RCA input and I feel this might be the right thread to ask,

Is the sync signal that goes into the Vidiot’s RCA video usable? In other words, does it feed into the the Vidiot’s Luma processor, or would I need to feed a different signal into the Luma processor from the dedicated 3.5mm input?

Also, I noticed in another thread, the second composite output of the Visual Cortex was used to sync to the Vidiot. Could I do the same with a Memory Palace? Additionally, do the rear panel sync signals contain video, or is it only timing code? Finally, would it make sense to sync up a system where the Visual Cortex is synced to the Memory Palace via the rear panel RCA sync jack, and synced to the Vidiot by way of the Visual Cortex’s second composite out?

I’ve synced both MP and Vidiot to the Cortex composite output without issues, but I am not sure if this is a “supported” configuration. The downside to syncing Vidiot this way is that the input is a video input… so the output of Cortex is now going to be feeding into your luma processor. Which I think kind answers your first question? Any video going into either luma input (RCA or 3.5mm) gets mixed together into the luma processor. If it’s only a sync signal then you can patch into the 3.5mm jack to have video+sync together

1 Like

Oh but it should be mentioned that everything has to share common sync, so if Cortex is synced separately from a video source, then you won’t be able to use a second video source going into Vidiot unless the two video sources are externally synced together.

You can work around this if you have a video mixer, perhaps. Some have the ability to display opposite buses via the “program” and “preview” outs, so what I do is connect Cortex and Vidiot to these different outs, which will be synced, allowing me to use two different video inputs between Cortex and Vidiot while staying synced together.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you very much for answering my question so quickly. I really appreciate it.

1 Like