Video capture (to standalone or not)

DVI-D and HDMI carry the same information. They are just a different connector. HDMI is a more expensive connector. So, the adaptor should be fine. According to the MP page LZX will supply the MP with one.

“DVI-D/HDMI video output supporting 480p/576p SD progressive output. DVI-D to HDMI connector adapter included. [ Designer Note: We plan to enable other output video format options on the DVI-D connector.]”

About the Hyperdeck: At this point the MP looks to only output 480 progressive. So it is de-interlacing the incoming interlaced signal that you are feeding into the MP. It is not scaling to 1920 x 1080. So just confirm the Hyperdeck will accept that format.

If you want to upscale to 1080 you need the Hyperdeck to do that in your proposed signal-flow. You would need to confirm that it can do that as I am not too familiar with that particular product.

2 Likes

so I’ve just received a hyperdeck shuttle!

at first I tried simply sending it a feed from my switch via an ambery vga/component => HDMI transcoder (I don’t believe it is being sold anymore can’t find any info)

no luck :frowning: well some luck as you can see the whole image is green

at this point some of you probably already know what the issue was

so I tried the component out from the LZX rig through the ambery transcoder again just a green version of the lament configuration

I did some research and found that the hyperdeck is expecting the HDMI source to be YUV video not RGB so I had to start looking at all the manuals of my devices to see what would allow for going from RGB component to HDMI YUV

my first thought was to use the BMD intensity shuttle
while it isn’t a practical setup unless I was wanting redundant video recording (one to computer and one to SSD) I still wanted to see if it would work

and it did good news! (the source this time from a VHS player into a V440 mixer out via the s-video program output)

ultimately I’d like to be able to record to send video out from computer (intensity shuttle) and record straight onto a SSD (hyperdeck shuttle)

so I have a couple extron scaling boxes I bought for around $20 each off ebay and while looking back through the manual one stood out as it would happily change the colorspace from RGB to YUV via its on screen menu system

the one I ended up using first worked so I didn’t end up trying the others yet extron RGB-HDMI 300 A (i think “a” allows for 1/8 stereo audio input alongside the component/VGA input and even has some audio delay built in for proper lip syncing!)

so I went out with component from the LZX rig => a component to VGA adapter => the extron 300 HDMI box => the hyperdeck shuttle => the viewing monitor

I know this is a big rambly but I’m hoping that somebody will find it useful

2 Likes

If you have an old PC or MacBook, a cheap Video Capture device like the Digitnow (22.99€ from Amazon) seems to work fine.

Initially I was considering Blackmagic and Elgato, but I’ve read mixed reviews about the results using MacBook Pro and USB-C, and didn’t feel like throwing 150€ just to see if one of them works for me.

I doubt this Digitnow would run on my MacBook Pro, but for less than 25€… In any case, I was thinking in using the MacBook Pro for sending video, Lumen, etc., into the Visual Cortex, and the old Mac for recording.

The quality seems pretty good. If interested, I could list the codecs included and the maximum resolution. In any case, way better than my up-to-now attempts at recording from the TV (which included multiple unwanted reflections, knocking the camera off a few times, and the “textures” one gets from filming from TVs… though they also have their charm). Anyway, for now it’s just for fun, to record some experiments with the Visual Cortex. I have no illusions of becoming a Pro anytime soon.

4 Likes

What about HDCP issues (s-video to SDI:To HDMI) ???
I tried a Ninja Flame without luch due to HDCP problems with upscalers from s-video to HDMI…

Thanks for the recommendation! I picked up an Extron 300A and I’m just waiting for it to arrive now. I’ve a similar setup to what you explain - Macbook > Intensity Shuttle > Visual Cortex > Hyperdeck.

I’m really curious about the audio delay feature. I find that my digital content, when it reacts to audio that I feed it, is fast to react (for example to an input sound triggering the opacity of a shape), but by the time that image is sent out of the shuttle, there’s some delay. So I’ve wondered for a while if there was some device I could get that would delay the audio that is heard, just a little. So that it matches the video.
If this will do that it’s gonna be amazing!
Plus I can record at a higher resolution, which is of course the main objective.
Excited!

so the Hyperdeck will then record video and audio both from HDMI?

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve tried audio and video recording together much yet I always get too distracted by the video system to get the audio stuff up and running and hooked up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man. Get some audio triggering things. It’s insane :wink:
Sensorary Translator all the way :fire:

3 Likes

Just trying to get the Extron upscaler working. What settings do you use on the input / output?!

Panic over. Sorted. 50Hz seems to be good, and as for resolution, scaling it is a little fiddly, but then I got it nice and saved to user preset. All good :wink:

2 Likes

@creatorlars do you capture 1080p (over 1080i or smaller resolutions than 1080) from the Hyperdeck Mini?

I’d imagine you capture progressive here rather than letting software convert to progressive later, but I’m very curious!

I’m mainly thinking about the following workflow: Visual Cortex -> an Analog-to-SDI converter -> Ultrastudio Mini HD or Hyperdeck Mini.

1 Like

Question about Cortex capture through ATEM Mini Pro:

I have a Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro which records to a USB drive. It’s great but only takes HDMI inputs. I’ve been doing capture from Cortex S-Video -> V4-EX -> ATEM Mini Pro recently which has been adequate – but I’m realizing is subpar because

• I’m using S-Video not component out of the Cortex
  • V4-EX internal processing is SD-based at 480p/576p Progressive.

I’m considering trying out Visual Cortex capture via component output -> BM Analog-to-SDI -> BM SDI-to-HDMI -> ATEM Mini Pro, but I don’t have either of those converters right now and I’m not sure if this would be a recommended route. While this seems like a long train of cables, but this actually seems like exact same train required for the Atomos Ninja-2 (replacing the ATEM) that is recommended in the LZX capture Youtube video. That makes me think this may be a plausible solution for quality capture. I’d rather switch to a standalone capture device in the future, over the ATEM Mini Pro, but perhaps it will hold up better than I expect for capture quality!

Well it seems like the Intensity Shuttle days are over. I’ve upgraded to an M1 Mac and Blackmagic’s Desktop Video Software does not support the TB Intensity Shuttle (the USB Intensity Shuttle was end-of-life’d a while before). It’s a real pity since it was the ideal device for video input and output from my Mac (albeit in fairness, not at the same time ). I’m going to sell my Intel Mac since otherwise the M1 is just so superior, but I’m going to need to figure out another way to get video in and out. I’d prefer component of course.

Any ideas out there?

2 Likes

The EASYCEL component to hdmi converter on Amazon is $35, way less expensive than the other options. That option will not output 1080i though, and has some mixed reviews. I picked up two of their hdmi to component converters in anticipation of TBC2. I’ve been using a thunderbolt intensity shuttle, but was considering an analog to sdi converter to go into the decimator for an hdmi output, and I think that’s the best upscale option. I’ve gone decimator to sdi-analog to get content into the system, but haven’t had the need to pick up the analog-sdi converter yet.

Hi dear LZX geeks

I’m still in the journey of finding a relatively cheap, computerless, but proper way to capture my video synth
I’m trying to avoid the SDI to HDMI converter so here’s what I end up to :
Blackmagic Mini converter Analog to SDI to a (second hand) Atomos Samuraï with SDI IN
Anyone using this combo ?

I’m using an Atomos Ninja to capture and Lars is so right. It captures in a lossy codec resulting in artifacting and dull colors. Here’s an example of capturing on the Ninja MP4: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COL2m0ThPbo/?igshid=160ru27f1dll

I will always love my screen recorder. I downloaded it on Joyoshare. It helps me save streaming movies and virtual meetings in high quality with no watermark, no latency, and no time limit. Amazing and easy to use.

1 Like

Anybody working with blackmagic media express? It won’t let me capture in 1080i60,only625i60.I’m using the intensity shuttle and a 2014 imac for recording.

Capturing at that res is what I do. The Shuttle doesn’t upscale on capture…if you’re gonna upscale, best to do it in software anyway IMO

1 Like

Hi everyone! Based on this thread, I bought a Blackmagic Analog to SDI converter and their Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini. It’s nice to be able to get analog video in my computer again for the first time since I went to an M1 Mac (pity I vowed never to buy anything from Blackmagic again after they discontinued support for the Intensity Shuttle almost immediately after I bought it and that didn’t work out).

It works well, but it has problems when I connect my Vidiot to my Visual Cortex. Since I can see the video generated on my LiquidTV, sync should be established, right? But the little screen on the Hyperdeck Studio flashes on and off and it has trouble syncing up.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Problem solved. It had been a long time since I’d used the Vidiot. I needed to have the sync originate on the Visual Cortex not on the Vidiot. That took care of it.

5 Likes