My systems is composed of

TBC2
ESG3
DSG3
DWO3
Fortress
Navigator
2 Prismatic Ray

I have two LZX cases and quite a few other modules that doesn’t need sync.

What would be the best sync chain order for this ?

Thank you.

TBC2 → ESG → Everything else

5 Likes

That was fast ! thanks.

The Fortress can be set as “Terminate” does that mean in my case it would best fit at the end of the sync chain ?

Anything that doesn’t let you set it to terminate doesn’t need to be terminated if put on the end of a chain, so it (kind of) doesn’t matter. I say “kind of” because it’s a little more complex than that, so if you have sync issues, it might be worth moving that one around to various spots first before moving anything else around, and you might end up finding that it works best at the end of the chain.

3 Likes

My instinct would be to put all of the Gen 3 modules earlier in the chain. They should have the most robust specs and predictable results with their universal power and sync boards. Anything with a termination switch may have either passive or buffered sync out. I would assume that Fortress is active. But some modules must go at the end of the chain. My Syntonie VU009 is like that.

3 Likes

Try adding a couple of modules at a time just to make sure that no noise is added or occurs without knowing the culprit. It can’t hurt to be a little cautious or don’t screw them all down with 4x screws before testing your system.
A key point is your output resolution. Fortress, Navigator & the Prismatic Ray are technically stuck in 480 NTSC or 576 Pal. Both TBC2 and ESG2 can output these sync timings but the older Expedition & Orion modules requiring sync will not output expected signals are higher sync & output rates, 1080 for instance.

2 Likes

This is not correct. I have had Fortress and Prismatic Ray (RCA and bus sync revs) synced to multiple other timings. They are both only looking for timing pulses and have no concept of timing format.

I haven’t thoroughly tested Navigator in HD timings but the sync input is actually not 100% necessary for it to work just fine in HD. The rear sync input is there to correct interframe blips that might happen at certain speeds with the internal quadrature oscillator. You don’t have to connect a sync cable to it at all to use its functions.

The only Expedition modules I’m aware of that simply will not work with timings other than NTSC/PAL are Visual Cortex and Liquid TV. The only Orion modules I’ve tried that do not work with timings other than NTSC/PAL are Memory Palace and Diver. I haven’t tried Escher Sketch with HD timings but that likely would be a similar issue in correcting interframe blips on its output like Navigator.

4 Likes