Possibilities in Double Memory Palace System

Hello Friends,

I am interested in other perspectives on what hardware might round out this system. I am capturing and processing a live input with the first MP and compositing with the second MP. Structure sometimes titles, sometimes composites, and sometimes outputs directly to a V4EX, which is managing the entire systems mixing and final output before recording.

I feel like I am largely achieving what I want artistically, but would be interested in what sort of utility could be added or improved upon with 24/34/or 50HP of possibility.

(I am currently using Diver in place of the TBC2.)

1 Like

One of these would open some more feedback options and/or serve as a nice front end for an MP:

Other modules which would provide additional functions include:

Arch
Pendulum (more than a simple dual LFO)
Curtain
Fortress
And nearly any of the BSO modules with mixing capabilities…Hex, Soup, & Grip would add flavor.

3 Likes

Interesting stuff! I am thinking about how best to use the space that’s there currently. It seems like within the LZX context, there are a lot of 8/10/&16HP modules. So the space gets filled at 24HP with:

• 3x 8HP modules
  • 1x 8HP module and 1x 16HP module

If there was some utility in a different but not present 10HP module, I could remove one and fill 34HP with an extra solution of:

• 1x 8HP module and 1x 16HP module and 1x 10HP module.

Or if not a 10HP module then just a 16HP module to fill 40HP and then:

• 4x 10HP modules
  • 5x 8HP modules
  • 2x 16HP modules and 1x 8HP module
  • 1x 22HP module and 1x 10HP module and 1x 8HP module

Then obviously, most intense but creates the most opportunity to add another aspect to the system would be also swapping a 16HP module as well to get 50HP and then:

• 5 x 10HP modules
  • 2 x 16HP modules and 1x 8HP module and 1x 10HP module
    etc.

Anyways, I am chasing rabbits now but I guess what I am wondering is if anyone has any processing ‘blocks’ in their system that they find useful that could fill this 24HP space or so.

Bridge is very useful. Also, BSO scanner is insanely cool. That’s 4hp. Cadet modules are also 4hp.

1 Like

IMO: playing to maximize HP is a zero-sum game. So many variables and with the current price-point of $ to HP, it’s an unnecessary constraint unless one is completely budget conscious (false economy if one is doing anything with video) or if one has a predetermined case layout optimized for a concrete and specific functional goal like XYZ raster manipulation, or, more significantly, a precise case size dictated by need to travel and gig on the road.

I have total sympathy for wanting everything to fit neatly in symmetrical rows with full row HP optimization. I’ve been playing that game for several years now. Many times I thought I’d unlocked the Rosetta Stone layout for my fleet of Vessels by mocking them up in modulargrid only to find that the limitations of physical realities meant they could not go where I’d hoped. The shallow depth of them meant that many modules (more of the DIY variety) would not fit at all, and the bulkheads for sync and the fan also meant only certain modules can fit near them. That, and the angled walls on the sides meant certain modules can’t sit flush there. Lars got me over my mental block with the explanation that the Vessels are really 84 HP with bonus room on the sides to aid with temperature control and to leave room for back of house sync connections.

All of that is to say, once I stopped striving for perfect/full HP fits, I had a lot less stress.

So, to answer your specific 24 HP question, if it were my case I’d go with Pendulum, Curtain, and RGB pre encoder for VC. All that said, Fortress packs a hell of a punch in 22 HP but good luck filling a 2 HP gap! :wink:

Oh, one other thing. My system really unlocked for me when I moved into triplicate and quads of certain modules. Three of anything has interesting applications for an RGB workflow. A common desire for a lot of folks is to play Pokémon with video modules and catch ‘em all! That’s completely understandable as each module brings unique functions into the mix. But there is wisdom and POWER in multiples of the same module in use. I’m not exaggerating when I say your system could benefit from 2 Passage, a Bridge, and an Arch … IN EVERY ROW!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’d love to see a topogram / marble index / polar fringe in there somewhere

navigator + escher sketch is a wonderful combo and that going into a memory palace means rotation within rotation is possible and that is lots of fun

but also leaving some space for future modules would be smart
the forth coming matrix mixer would be a good fit too…

edit:
honestly with this system get yourself the visual cortex expander! that opens up the possibilities for interesting routings that you can’t get otherwise

2 Likes

Hello Friends,

Thank you for taking time to talk with me about possibilities! I am going to add the Visual Cortex Expander, and then solve for the remaining space. I am also keeping my eyes out for a Fortress or the forthcoming matrix mixer.

But in the meantime, I removed Diver which was standing in for TBC2 and added another bridge, another passage, and the Rossum Control Forge.

2 Likes

just make sure to keep in mind with the visual cortex expander that it will have to sit right next to the visual cortex (to the right)

at least that is what is recommended

1 Like

I have a dual MP setup too, it’s the best, super excited for the seams to get fixed in v20, but been working with them for the moment. :crazy_face: :ok_hand:
You might want to consider getting a brownshoesonly 5:1 if you haven’t bought 3 bridges already.
Also you could consider using something else in the place of the second Escher Sketch, as one would probably be enough unless you use it all the time. I’m really satisfied with my Diver, could be a good option.
I’m curious what workflow you have planned for double passages and doorways?
:smile: :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

My preface is that I came to modular video synthesis to restimulate my interest in motion graphic treatments. I worked with digital motion graphics and production for a while, and burned out. Video synthesis kind of saved my interest in it because I loved the look. That being said for as interested as I am, I know essentially nothing.

(Let’s assume the preface that I know very little can be applied to anything that follows:)
My short answer would be modulation sources and any given input can become interrelated via Passage. With two, I am essentially committed to processing two elements or inputs being generated or manipulated via the two Memory Palaces. Also, a new but related modulation source can be generated by modulating a modulation source via Passage. Then, if desired or sometimes if need be, Passage can be an HP expensive mult for the modulated modulation created on the first row. In regards to double Doorways, I once saw @creatorlars talk about this and double Staircases being one of his favorite working blocks. I regularly get things out of it that are very interesting to my eye, but beyond that practical experience I do not reliably understand what it does at a conceptual level. I think Lars will explain succinctly if he gets this tag.

I have a long answer but would probably be better at talking about it with my hands on the system. Sometimes I feel like I can demonstrate more concepts than I can explain in regards to video synthesis. Anyways, I would love to talk more with double Memory Palace users. I think there is a lot of potential in these types of systems for approximating great Fairlight CVI-type effects.

(PS. I should have also mentioned I am using a V4EX as the container for all this hotshit.)

Oh cool, I hadn’t really thought about that workflow before. Now I want another staircase. Thanks for the explanation.

Double MP really is great, so much possibility.

I missed out on Marble Index and Visual Cortex, but looking forward to whatever comes next in their place for expanding my workflow. :grin:

This thread is gold for grokking Doorway details:

2 Likes