[ORDER] VEIL - Priority Layering Compositor

UPDATE:
I believe I have been in contact with everyone interested. For those waiting on the next batch, boards are expected to finish production June 17th and will hopefully be delivered on the 23rd (give or take).

Feel free to continue messaging me if you wish to have your name added to the lists for either a PCB/panel or built module. Also note that my previous modules are/will be available at the time of the new batch’s arrival.

6 Likes

@otoskope Assuming CW position on the knobs, it can perform the same type of subtractive mixing where the brightness of the upper layers determines how much voltage is subtracted from the lower layers.

If you have three bright layers you want to mix together, with an additive mixer this can often result in areas where the brightness overlaps and blows out to white which means you lose detail. VEIL is close to this when the pots are all CCW. Several of the patches above start off CCW and progress to fully CW.

It might help to notice that for the monochrome patches, where the top layers are close to black, the lower layers shine through. When the top layers are bright, you won’t see any part of the lower layers as their brightness has been subtracted by a proportional amount of the higher layers and the pot position. Here’s another one where the top layer (Diver) is attenuated to dark grey, then Monica Vitti portrait, then perlin noise–the last two at their usual brightness. The perlin noise is always visible where the other images are mostly black.

8 Likes

I’m really excited for this one! Hey Fox, would it be possible to make an RBG and Luma version with CV control over the layers? Like several Veils with CV, in one package? I’m really impressed by what I’ve seen and plan to order two more Veils soon… just imagining possibilities over here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, maybe at some point. Right now I have quite a few other modules to release before returning to the drawing boards on this one. You are right, though; that VEIL is most impressive in a set of 3!

Preorders for the second batch is already quickly approaching the additional 50 boards I ordered. A 3rd order will have to be placed before the 2nd even arrives!

4 Likes

Do you have any built available?

2 Likes

I will build more once the next PCB batch arrives. Would you like me to put you down for one?

1 Like

This is great, really want one, but I’m wondering about CV control on the opacity knobs. Would be super cool to be able to use LFOs on those controls. Maybe a consideration for a future mk2? Looks like there could be room for cv input jacks below each knob, but attenuators would have to be done on other modules or inline attenuators, or hp would have to increase for more controls.
:hugs:

5 Likes

Having direct video rate control of those two pots would be very powerful. Much like some of LZX’s offerings where there are not direct ‘cv inputs’, there are ways you can patch your inputs and outputs to more dynamically interact with VEIL’s core function, assuming CW positions on the knobs.

Put your 3 input sources through VCAs (Bridge, Cadet VI, X, Marble Index, TVFKG, TVVCA, etc.) before patching them into VEIL and modulate with LFOs. Modulating the contrast (gain/attenuation) of all three sources at once will mean that as your LFO opens the VCA, you’ll see more of each of the layers appear out of black (increasing gain towards white) while at the same time the brighter spots of the upper layers will begin to obscure those beneath them.

Mix your 3 input sources directly with one multed LFO (Passage, Color Chords, VBM, Cadet VII, CMix, Matrix Mixer, forthcoming Fox Daisy, etc.). This will let you modulate the brightness (bias or how close to 1V/white each pixel is) of all layers simultaneously. The effect of obscuring lower layers is increased while maintaining the ratio of brightness between each layer. Your upper layers may blow out to white more readily depending on how much you bias them.

Patch all three source inputs through a Gamma corrector, like an Arch (ideally through a video rate fader for log<>lin<>expo fades) or Shapechanger. This lets you adjust whether your mid greys are closer to black or white under voltage control. So if you have a dynamic portrait, gamma correcting it would move its midgrey points without forcing details closest to black or white to be clipped. This makes VEIL dynamically adjust how the layers obscure each other without losing detail as readily as the summed LFO option.

If you decide VEIL is totally your thing, using 6 of them fed by a multed RGB image with 3 video rate faders (Marble Index, BSO Crossfade, TVFKG, etc.) would let you set up two scenes of opacity (pots on each set of 3 VEILs set differently) and then fade between them with a LFO. SHUTTER would do it too but as a hard switching effect.

As more of a thought exercise, using 12 VEILs fed into 3x Brownshoesonly Scanners would let you scan across 4 different scenes of fixed opacity at video rate.

9 Likes

3 pcb sets for me please!

Shipping costs to Germany?

1 Like

I’d like one built module. Thanks!

Sure. I will PM you.

PM’ing.

The second batch of 50 has arrived. I will now begin contacting everyone on my list who has been waiting.

6 Likes

I’ll take 3 PCB’s & Panels :+1:t4:

1 Like

You’re on the list now. I’ll be in contact shortly.

2 Likes

I’d like 3x pcb sets as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got mine today–a whole two days early!

Built and tested both already, and they are great. I actually had all the parts on hand from building a bunch of Cadets and Castles recently–including exactly 14 LM6172s :smiley:

Love love love the component values on the PCB silkscreen! :heart_eyes:

Just a couple of minor complaints: the .1uF cap lead spacing is a little wide for my taste and 16 pin power headers seem to be the standard for LZX modules so I would prefer that for these modules also.

Thanks for bringing this to life!!

4 Likes

our little fox collection is coming right along!
peep the triple veil in front of the shutter

modules from left to right

quad 2:1 / 1:2 switch, quad mult, polar fringe, 3x) veil, shutter, passage, matrix mixer, mapper, marble index

8 Likes

If there are still PCB sets left, I’d love to grab 3 of them. Thanks!

1 Like

three pcb sets please!

1 Like

I would love a pcb set if there are left, please PM me thanks

1 Like