Monitoring video synthesis, Black Magic UltraStudio HD Mini, LZX Modules, Macbook Pro USB-C/TB3

Hello,

I’d like to know how to monitor video synthesis without a CRT TV?

Was using an old sony trinitron tv and although they served me well, they broke during shipment in a recent move. They are too expensive/heavy to lug around as a renter.

I’m hoping there might be a way to monitor on my laptop, maybe with the same programs people use to edit the video on? I’m new to video synthesis coming from the audio world, so I’m still trying to wrap my head around things.

I was using a vidiot, a trinitron and an old video8 camcorder.

Is it possible to live monitor the output of the vidiot with my macbook pro? UltraStudio HD Mini? What else would I need?

Was also going to put together a case of LZX modules but they are hard to find, maybe I can buy them o the forum here?

I appreciate any help!!

flat screens work fine too…
I use a 12year old plus 40" sony flatscreen - works fine - slightly different aesthetic - but fine!

don’t know about getting into the computer - I just re-scan with an iphone

maybe start with a chromagnon - probably the best bang for buck - if you can wait awhile

2 Likes

Welcome to the party! :partying_face:

I use a couple of “Eyoyo” (find them on Amazon) brand LCD monitors that have composite inputs for monitoring. I also use my home theater’s Epson projector, again just plugging into the composite input. Latency is minimized in both cases, which matters with audio reactive patches.

2 Likes

The Ultrastudio would work for live monitoring on your laptop and also gives you an hdmi output. An Intensity Shuttle would have the same effect for less money, if you can find one. I recently upgraded from a thunderbolt intensity shuttle to the 4k Mini for the plug and play convenience.

Things to keep in mind when choosing a capture card; scaling, the color depth that it accepts and outputs as well as resolutions, and any audio/frame sync needed. The Ultrastudios are popular because you don’t have to manually configure input resolution and framerate, just plug and play. I chose the 4k Mini over the HD Mini because by the time I would have added a frontplate screen and an sdi to hdmi converter the total would have been almost what the 4k was, and this way I can use the 4k capture capability for other things.

5 Likes

What cables and/or adapters are necessary in order to take the rca output of something into the Ultrastudio?

An RCA to BNC adapter with a normal RCA cable, or an RCA to BNC cable.

1 Like

Sorry to wake up an older thread but I figured it might be better than starting fresh.
So looking at the Ultrastudio 4k mini it looks to be almost the perfect solution for me.

1. Takes output from the video synth and converts
  2. Multiple outputs, SDI HDMI…
  3. Easy capture
  4. Quality audio input
    Perfect on paper for what I want. Unless I am just being dense, it looks that you have to be connected to the computer and running the capture software for the conversion and output to be working. I guess I am spoiled by my RME Audio interfaces. They will fully function without the computer on and capturing. So in use you can turn on the RME and patch away. If the urge to record strikes just turn on the computer. Does something like that exist in video? Or is it just a matter of multiple boxes for conversion and capture? On the bright side it does work well with ESG3. Bout fell over with the results
1 Like