LZX Castle modding

Let’s make this a Castle Modding Thread!
(as the Cadet Modding thread already exists)

I’ll start:
Today I added a LDR to a Castle ADC gain potmeter, and it works extremely well!
pot pins 1 & 2

so next up is voltage control.
I’ll also try the Bias pot.

6 Likes

Nice,
Really curious about the voltage control one, it’s really something missing in the ADC i think.
Would be great to have a pot to control the amplitude of the control voltage input too, as ranges of gain & bias are pretty low.

1 Like

Just tested the Bias pot, this works too. although the range is smaller
but this can work as a coarse & fine setting.
The range of the pots is indeed small With the LDR’s , you can use the remaining ‘dead’ range to fade in from white or black. This works great!

and tested CV input with a hacky vactrol. WORKS!
cv input: LFO. the vactrol is not super fast. it can do some audiorate modulation though. horizontal scrolling bars were visible.
1v video signal: I need to change the led resistor to see if this works

I tested the Gain pot, with a yellow (clear) led & 1k resistor + LDR and some electrical tape.

1 Like

a little picture :slight_smile:

and a simple schematic

notes:
you can probably also use pin 2 & 3 of the pot. then It works inverted(not tested)
experiment with led types and resistor values
I used a clear yellow led and 1k
the LDR has no polarity, the LED does
black tape probably works better. or use a heatshrink . or a real vactrol

5 Likes

I did this yesterday to my ADC and it works great! Much better than having to dedicate a VCA or Processor channel to it. Thanks @reverselandfill

1 Like

Hey @reverselandfill :wave:t3:
Do you still have the two photos you posted in January stored away for easy finding to reupload here? I hope so & if it’s not too much trouble, could you please upload them again :+1:t3:
I’m really curious to see this.

what photos do you mean?

1 Like

This one. It wouldn’t load up last night (I figured it was deleted because of age), maybe my connection was low as my friend was streaming some TV content.

Because the pot is a clear one in the photo, for a moment I thought it was one that illuminates :joy:

not really sure this qualifies as a “mod” but it’s pretty interesting nonetheless. when building some Castle 010 Clock VCOs i didn’t understand the PLL sync functionality at first and thought the module was just acting odd and noisy so i started poking around and took a wild guess that the two switches i installed weren’t grounded. i soldered a resistor lead from each switch enclosure to the large round pad right beneath it to “solve” this (non-)issue. instead i created a new one - the hi/lo range switch now acts as a sort of capacitive touch input! the effect is only really visible when unsynced in the hi range or synced at the lower end of the hi range and touching the switch pretty much just adds a little S-curve to the oscillations. video demo here:

noisier stuff in the second vid is actually me playing a bit with the tip of a patch cable connected to VC input of the Clock VCO.

…and while i’m here - anyone cooking up any other cool Castle mods?

3 Likes

I’ve used an on/off/on for the castle vco freq range. Let the middle float. Oscillates higher. You can try to get a switch to hang in the middle sometimes to get the same thing.

3 Likes