All About Castle (DIY) Series

Image retrieved from here.

Videos

Specifications

MEASUREMENT DISCLAIMER

I have personally measured the PCB depths. Those measures relate to the specificied board revisions. I do not know if this measurement is fixed between revisions. Measurements are fairly accurate, margin of error should be within the 0.5mm range.

POWER CONSUMPTION DISCLAIMER

The table indicated power consumption values have been collected from THONK on 17/06/2020. I do not know if this applies to the specificed board revisions.

MODULE REVISION WIDTH DEPTH (PCB) +12V CONSUMPTION -12V CONSUMPTION
000 ADC RevD 4HP 56mm 21mA 28mA
001 DAC RevD 4HP 41mm 3mA 4mA
010 CLOCK VCO RevE 4HP 51mm 9mA 7mA
011 SHIFT REGISTER RevD 4HP 51mm 21mA 43mA
100 MULTI GATE RevD 4HP 57mm 28mA 40mA
101 QUAD GATE RevD 4HP 51mm 31mA 55mA
110 COUNTER RevD 4HP 51mm 39mA 39mA
111 D FLIP FLOPS RevD 4HP 51mm TBD TBD

Build Notes

@mrfang warns that, according to @pbalj, for the 000 ADC RevD, the polarity markings for C18 are reversed:

Castle System Concept Overview

Complete LZX Castle series manual (DIY kit version)

LZX Castle Mod Thread

Patching Tutorials

Other Resources

8 Likes

thank you!! love that this has been compiled here.

3 Likes

Castle ADC has reversed markings for the polarity of C18, on at least Rev D. Phil mentioned this in a message but I don’t think it’s documented anywhere. Builders beware.

4 Likes

Will add to the main post, cheers for the warning.
Mine needs a resoldering then :wink:

1 Like

really? i don’t still have one around to check the PCB version but i just built a bunch according to polarity found on silkscreen with PCBs ordered from LZX and they all passed testing just fine with no exploding caps anywhere to be found. can anyone else confirm that this is still an issue on the current PCB version?

1 Like

yeah, I just checked the schematic. it is reversed.
mine also work fine, but to switch it around would be better!
as for the official pcb, you have to check it yourself. I made my own custom pcbs.

screenshot of rev D (where the error is)

2 Likes

For those of us in the cheap seats (i.e. that don’t understand the electronics), what is that part doing (or not doing) that its polarity can be reversed yet the module still seemingly work as intended?

1 Like

thanks for confirming! will do what i can to rectify the situation with people i’ve shipped modules to.

it looks to me like it’s a noise filter for the output of the voltage regulator (U9). not sure why it would work just fine with it facing the other way though - maybe not enough juice running through it to cause it to pop? in any case it’s likely not doing the filtering it’s supposed to be doing with it facing the wrong way.

2 Likes

That error only applies to rev d, there has since been a rev e

2 Likes

What is the tool to loosen and tighten the nuts on the jacks? Also seeking part number for the washers. Thanks!

Mouser part 382-0006
Xicon KNURLED NUT DRIVER

As for washers, I’d like to know too - could probably measure and seek a shim washer to suit but that takes more time than I’d bother with

1 Like

the 382-0006 rik mentioned doesn’t fit all knurled nuts perfectly (some have notches that are too tight) but if you have a Dremel or sander of some kind you can sand the nubs so they fit. i sell modified nut drivers for $12 + $5 shipping but i’m on vacation for most of August… still feel free to PM if interested & i’ll hit you up when i get back home.

1 Like

I’d like to buy when you’re ready! Do you sell the nuts and washers too?

i sell the knurled nuts but no washers for the jacks. i do have nuts/washers for potentiometers tho. moving this convo to PM to avoid cluttering the thread :v:

Has anyone played about with a Turing machine module with the castle series? Could see a semi-random sequencer working really well with the counters and flip flops

2 Likes