How many LZX video synths exist in the world?

If we look at sync generator modules as a basis for counting, there are about 200 original Video Sync Generator modules out there and about 400-500 Visual Cortex modules out there. In addition to that, 600 Vidiots will have been built and shipped by the end of this year. I’m not sure on DIY systems, but I think we’ve shipped between 200 and 300 Cadet sync gen boards.

So it is somewhere between 500 and 1000 systems in the world. Many times over any historical system. For example, I think there were about 20 Sandin IP systems built and about 40 EMS Spectres. When we do a new module release, we ideally build between 100 and 200 units for an initial release, and expect to sell out of those within 12 months. So there’s at least that many people actively expanding their systems.

When we first started, we built modules in 20 piece batches, then that expanded to 40. With Visual Cortex, thanks to the partnership with Darkplace Manufacturing, we were able to build 250 units initially, and that really helped expand the landscape of system owners.

15 Likes