How many LZX video synths exist in the world?

Hey, just came to wonder how many LZX video synths exist in the world?

I know that the modular framework makes this a kind of vague question, but perhaps it could be roughly measured by the number of sync generators sold, since this is the most core function of a synth (and yeah, i know that some modules can be used unsynched, if connected to for example a vidiot, but in these cases, the vidiot will count as a sync generator). I also understand that some systems incorporate more than one sync generator (i myself own both a vidiot and a cadet1)… but?

@creatorlars Can you give just a rough estimate on how many sync generators, counting all generations and makes, you have produced?

/Lau

3 Likes

If we look at sync generator modules as a basis for counting, there are about 200 original Video Sync Generator modules out there and about 400-500 Visual Cortex modules out there. In addition to that, 600 Vidiots will have been built and shipped by the end of this year. I’m not sure on DIY systems, but I think we’ve shipped between 200 and 300 Cadet sync gen boards.

So it is somewhere between 500 and 1000 systems in the world. Many times over any historical system. For example, I think there were about 20 Sandin IP systems built and about 40 EMS Spectres. When we do a new module release, we ideally build between 100 and 200 units for an initial release, and expect to sell out of those within 12 months. So there’s at least that many people actively expanding their systems.

When we first started, we built modules in 20 piece batches, then that expanded to 40. With Visual Cortex, thanks to the partnership with Darkplace Manufacturing, we were able to build 250 units initially, and that really helped expand the landscape of system owners.

15 Likes

Thats qiute a lot. Thanks for the numbers, i now have a better number to throw at students and others about the progress of the analog wave in video. :slight_smile: Been saying it was just around the corner for 10 years. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely! When we started we had no idea if there would be a market for any of this stuff, it started as a DIY project. We started selling the modules to finance the effort because we felt it was worthwhile. Many people told me it would not work out. The reason we’ve grown as a company is because we’ve tried to just respond organically to the needs of the community, rather than build a bunch of a product and hope to market and sell it.

The year we started was the year they stopped analog broadcasts in the states, and at that point I knew it was only a matter of time until interest in the analog video signal and its creative idiosyncrasies started to rise. I never would have predicted the huge surge in interest surrounding collecting CRTs for gaming, or the retro futuristic movement in games. That’s an interesting phenomenon as well.

8 Likes