H and V ramp visualizer made in Processing

Hi all. I was curious about various combos of weird H and V ramps, and don’t have enough things to patch up such arbitrary stuff, so I made a little program in Processing to visualize this stuff. Here’s what it looks like:

You can draw in the ramp profile boxes (to make wacky ramps!), and you can adjust the threshold of the keyer. Also most keys on the keyboard do things. See the full documentation in the top of the processing file, but the short version is:

• 1,2,3,…,0 set ramps to the H ramp
  • q,w,e,…,p set ramps to the V ramp
  • a,s,d,…,j modify the H ramp
  • z,x,c,…,m modify the V ramp
  • if you hold shift and press any of the ‘set’ keys, it averages what it would have set with the existing ramp
  • if you hold shift and press the ‘modify’ keys, some keys have alternate functions

Anyway, it helped me visualize a few things, so maybe it’ll help you too. Feel free to download it and run it in Processing yourselves if you want:

10 Likes

I have a long list of features I want to add and ways I want to clean it up and improve it, but I’m not sure I’m going to get to them. That said, if you have any feature requests or issues, feel free to mention them here or on github and I might do something about it.

Also if it runs horribly on your computer, please let me know about it. I have a relatively new computer and it’s the only thing I’ve tested it on and it runs great for me, but there are a few ways I could probably further improve performance if that’s an issue for anyone.

1 Like

That’s cool!
Recently I prepared a sketch about sync and oscillators, it can be hugely improved but I find it nice:

https://editor.p5js.org/esnho/sketches/UGPInh9qd

2 Likes

Oh nice! Yay for more visualizations of how video synth stuff works!

I should see how well mine runs in p5js sometime… It’d be nice to have it available to run on the web like that.

2 Likes