Creating "3D" objects

A thread for sharing techniques on creating fake 3D objects.

I’m currently working on creating a rotating cube tunnel.

Here’s what i have so far.

7 Likes

So I made this quick and dirty vid (rescanned) to show you how Curtain looks likes when used to add depth into your 2d objects, its very nice.

How you made that patch with the the repeating-superimposed rotating diamonds?

8 Likes

I used feedback from the second channel of VC fed through Curtain to create the superimposed versions.

1 Like

But Visual Cortex doesn’t have any outputs on the mixer section, only the ramps and the sync are the outputs I dont get how you output something from VC into Curtain? Or you mean you input back the video into VC and then used the those outputs?

1 Like

Yes i just grabbed the main output and plugged back into cortex. Then took the Luma out of that inout and fed through Curtain.

1 Like

Here’s a patch I stumbled into that has a nice illusion of depth. Forgive the crummy photos.

Modules:

• Cadet ramps + Bridge mixer to create a “negative” diamond. Also I think should be doable with Visual Cortex + Bridge? You want a shape with a hole in it, with some gradient to the hole.
  • Prismatic Ray, or something else for generating a second pattern
  • Color Chords
  • Castle ADC and Dual DAC

Patch:

• Create a cavity with ramps and an inverting mixer. Cadet H & V mirrored ramps to Bridge mixer negative inputs, Negative switch on. I haven’t quite wrapped my head around why this still looks like a diamond, with white in the center, unless maybe the encoder is rectifying the inputs?
  • Diamond to this castle patch: into ADC, ADC outputs to DAC inputs. DAC output goes to Layer 1 of Color Chords. Now we can see that the output from the Bridge mixer is actually at its minimum in the center.
  • Prismatic Ray triangle output to Layer 2 of Color Chords. I’m also using one of the unmirrored ramps to the Frequency VC of Prismatic Ray to get the output to bend slightly diagonally.
  • Adjust bias and gain on the ADC, the alpha slider for Layer 1 of Color Chords, and parameters of Prismatic Ray (try to avoid clipping) to get sort of an effect where the “ridges” of the Prismatic Ray output seem to “fill” the cavity of the DAC output, where the steps with gradually decreasing brightness give a nice depth to it.
7 Likes