Can Memory Palace Take External Video Source

I’ve been playing with some source material for the memory palace. I tried loading a 720x480 video clip to the SD card. Folder appears with clips but no video file. Will a video plug-in become a feature down the line?

Welcome, Mike.
Memory Palace can animate a video clip as frames, with a 64 frame limit. You would have to split your video into frames and then put the frames (in numbered order) together in a folder. The A/B button will cycle through the frames in every mode except Warp. The Delay slider controls the animation speed.
You can send external video sources into Memory Palace using TBC2, Visual Cortex, or Vidiot.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I looked at the modules and TBC2 looks like the best solution. Just to clarify to use the module I’d use the sync in ports in the back with a video cable correct? And the TBC2 takes any video source?

TBC2 + Memory Palace will be a very powerful combo. TBC2 accepts composite, S-Video, Component YPbPr and Component RGB inputs. Memory Palace will sync to TBC2 via the rear RCA connections.

1 Like

Hi. I am finally trying to get this video sync to work. I am running sync out from TBC2 to Memory Palace Sync In with a composite RCA cable. The signal is black coming out of Memory Palace. On both module UI menus Sync is not selectable. TBC2 Sync is false. Memory Palace sync is internal. Is the firm ware issue or am I running the cables wrong? From what I see there is no video out for TBC 2 except sync out and the A/B yrgb out ports.

Memory Palace should be set to external sync. Try that first. :slight_smile:

also what resolution are you running TBC2 at?
with memory palace in its current state you’ll have to be running NTSC or PAL

1 Like

I can’t access the option in the UI menu. Is there a mode I am not seeing?

NTSC. Right now I am just trying it with a 480p signal.

1 Like

It might need to be 480i

1 Like

On the back side of Memory Palace there are two dip switches; one for external sync to pass though or terminate (if it’s the final module in that sync chain), and another for setting sync to internal or external. If you’re only connecting TBC2 and MemPal, then you should set MemPal to external sync and terminate.

3 Likes

480 is not working as well as NTSC

Flipped the switches and the menu reflects sync external NTSC! But I still can’t see whatever is feeding into TBC2 to appear in the output of Memory Palace.

In PARAMS window not seeing much in the way of source options other than media and RGB. In the key mode there is an option for alpha masking ext source. Route options don’t include an ext source. The only imagery I can access is whatever is loaded from media.

1 Like

I know this is probably more of an outside chance kind of suggestion, but have you tried moving the faders around? Depending on some settings, faders can have different assumed default positions… a lot to say that if you’re confident TBC2 is properly receiving and passing signal, and MemPal seems to be set correctly now, next time you get a black screen try moving a bunch of the faders around and see of you can see the image you intended. This may not be super scientific, but it has worked for me before when I found myself stuck. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey Mike, you have to select the RGB mode in the source menu to see external imagery that’s plugged into the MemPal’s input jacks.

1 Like

Here is what the menu looks like in the current firmware. The second square down on the left controls the input.

2 Likes

That did the trick! Video signal on A and B busses is streaming into TBC2. Thank you for the final key. I had been fiddling with rgb ports earlier before I learned about the sync switches on the back of the module. The rest is up to me now for implementing MP whatever way.

2 Likes

I’ll remember this one too

1 Like