Cadet V Scaler & Cadet X Multiplier?

Hello folks, my first post here in the forum. I hope it’s on the right category.

I’m looking to expand my video system with some cadet modules.
I understand most of them except:

Cadet V Scaler: ‘’… for the purpose of several different standards conversions.’’ It has 4 inputs with their associated outputs. I suppose it’s a form of Bridge. Does it get 5V signals and converts them to 1V?

Cadet X Multiplier: Totally lost on this one. What’s 2quad v/s 4quad? I think I’ve heard that before.

Nice to have a dedicated forum now, facebook can get kinda messy sometimes.
Thanks!

Correct. The module can be built to convert 5V to 1V, 1V to 5V, +/-5V to 1V or 1V to +/-5V. I’ve built a few that are 5V to 1V to allow easy patching from my audio system into LZX and they work quite well. I haven’t found a need for +/-5V to 1V or 1V to +/-5V yet (time will tell) but I’m starting to see the need for 1V to 5V on occasion.

:+1: I couldn’t agree more.

3 Likes

2q multiplier = regular VCA = control de amplitude of the signal with CV. when CV is 0 its amplitude is 0 (no signal), when CV = max V (1v on LZX, 10V on regular eurorack audio) the amplitude is maximum.

4q multiplier = ring modulator = control de amplitude of the signal with CV, but when CV gets negative signal is inverted. when CV is 0, amplitude of the signal is 0. when CV is -V (-10V audio eurorack or -1V LZX) signal gets maximum amplitude but its inverted. when CV = +V (1v on LZX, 10V on regular eurorack audio) the amplitude is maximum just like a VCA.

10 Likes

Thanks for your answers :space_invader:

In video signals the amplitude corresponds to the brightness of the image, am I right?

What would be the result of patching a Triangle Waveform into the Multiplier? And a Vertical Ramp?

amplitude is how big the signal is.

its really hard to say what those outputs are if we dont know the freq of each of those signals. but in the image you can see how the fast(carrier) signal amplitude is been modulated by the slow signal (modulator).

5 Likes

vcas and ring modulators are usefull for:

• animation (on-off of s shape) on sub-audible freqs, like lfos or ADs.

• waveshaping another signal when on audio or video range.

in rasters, and many other things on vector/oscillo graphics (rotation and translation of the strokes)…

If you have a PrismaticRay it has a built-in 2q/4q multi, so think that input is to control the size (in slow freqs) or shape (in fast freqs) of the output.

2 Likes

with a h or v ramp (sync signals) and a triangle in either h or v range, you will get a fading triangle signal (which are h or v bars with gradient) fading in the direction of the ramp

1 Like

Awesome, that graph explains a lot.
Will order a few boards soon and add the comparative images once I build them, it may help future noobs like me.

Thanks!

1 Like