1U utility modules

I’m on the PulpLogic format for no other good reason, originally, than the first case I bought was their LBZ54 — with the idea that my system would just remain a small, portable rig to accompany a Vidiot.

Well, that turned out predictably and I ended up building a second, larger case — which also includes a 1u row (mostly just because it fit in the case I wanted to use so why not?) using PulpLogic-sourced hardware.

I guess the advantages of the larger PulpLogic size are:

1. Both sizes of 1u tiles fit into it (if not perfectly) whereas the opposite is obviously not true
  2. Up to 6hp modules can be squeezed in sideways if you want, whereas given how tightly they fit in PL-size I assume again the same is not true for IJ-size
  3. The tiles PulpLogic make tend to be cheaper and, though simpler, there are maybe more that are useful to a video workflow (?)
  4. Might be the better-supported format with other 1u tile/case makers?

I know there are some arguments in Intellijel’s favor as well, but nothing that has convinced me to switch. (The more logical switch would be away from 1u altogether.)

Honestly, since 1u has never seemed to really gain much favor in the video world (yet), mounting things sideways in the extra space afforded in my cases has been my main strategy with those rows thus far. And, as I’ve mentioned in other 1u threads, my intention is to eventually make some alternate panels for a few modules which will make mounting in 1u easier and more space-efficient. …Though I will probably also build some passive switches and mults in 1u soon too.

1 Like