[WIP] Filter, Processor, Utility (February Protos)

One more revision. Gonna send it in.
Notable changes: I am sick and tired of populating resistors on seemingly endless revisions, so the passives are now pre-assembled. All that I need to solder are the chips, connectors, pots and trimmers. Chips can be either THT or SMD depending on what is available.
I like the board and the results a lot.
Crossing my fingers, the next print job is the last one. :wink:

8 Likes

Looking good! That’s smart thinking for both, may be pinching these ideas for myself in the future since IC supply shortages are often still a problem. Are the ICs identical in both package options?

1 Like

With these chips, all of the pins match up between SOIC and DIL and I’ve tested both options on separate builds.
LT1228, LM6172, TL072.

It works very well and will save a lot of time building them. With the smaller passive components, the board is only 35mm deep and I went ahead and made the board 4-layers as the cost difference was trivial.

I think the biggest factor for me is that this will also make putting together kits a breeze.

7 Likes

Do I spy a footprint that can either be two SOIC TL072s or one DIP TL074?! What a nice idea! I ended up making a “SOIC8 or DIP8” footprint myself and was bummed that I couldn’t do the same for larger pin packages. But what you did is a pretty nice solution for op amps!

1 Like

That’s right! :laughing: I decided fitting a SOIC-14 around the DIL-14 took up more space than two SOIC-8’s.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea on the dual footprints, will be stealing this idea for future designs!

1 Like

Final boards/panels ordered, parts order being placed now.
Word on availability will be announced soon granted there are no more setbacks. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes