Why does the visual cortex cost more than the Vidiot/Chromagnon?

I noticed that the Visual Cortex doesn’t seem to have as much functionality as the Vidiot or the Chromagnon, but it costs 50 dollars more, is there a specific reason for this? I know the Vidiot doesn’t fit into a euro rack format, but the chromagnon does, so I’m a bit confused. I guess this question is more directed at Lars than anyone else, but anyone’s input is appreciated.

1 Like

As a VC user, I can only say there’s a lot of functionality packed into that small space, and there’s some dense circuitry hidden behind that panel, in several layers of PCB. I appreciate that last point each time I insert or remove mine from a rack. It must be the deepest Eurorack module I have, given that the boards are parallel to the panel.

Vidiot and Chromagnon have their own cases, so you can’t see the complexity of the circuitry. I can’t comment on how they’re built or what that might cost. I’ll be very interested to hear what Lars or someone else at LZX can say on this.

Thanks for asking.

1 Like

Unofficial musing:
Visual cortex is a pretty old design, so does not have the same cost savings that have been incorporated in vidiot and chromagnon.
For example, chromagnon has eliminated the use of a lot of expensive specialty video ICs. I believe cortex is pretty heavy on expensive ICs.

1 Like

I also assume that the Chromagnon pricing is still “introductory” and will eventually go up another $100-200, as seems to be typical for the larger LZX products at some point after their release (Cortex, Vidiot, Mem Pal).

1 Like

Correct, Cortex is from a different era and became more expensive to build as time went on. The initial price for Cortex was $799.
Check out this early front panel sketch!

10 Likes

I reaaallllly hope Chromagnon doesn’t go up before I can decide if I want a second one

The Cortex is so functionally dense and cool, I would be absolutely devastated if mine broke down.

3 Likes