Weird time to be a starting an LZX system

I’m probably stating the obvious here, but keep your eyes on eBay, reverb, etc. I’ve built a lot of my system with used modules. Join the LZX Facebook group as well, stuff gets listed there often before it hits eBay or reverb.

5 Likes

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of video synthesis. You’ve noted it in your post, but it must be restated with emphasis: COVID!

The entirety of LZX’s 2020 vision was concocted outside of the harsh realities of 2020. The pandemic started beating up the supply chain in January and continued to wreak havoc through summer. Suppliers are still catching up and LZX is still short staffed. Things would be very different were it not for the pandemic. So…it’s a weird time to be starting anything.

Chromagnon is the foundation of the future of analog video synthesis. That’s where we expect you to start. Arch, Bridge, Curtain, Doorway, Mapper, Passage, Pendulum, Staircase, and Sensory Translator will all be restocked before the next generation of Visionary modules is announced. The Orion series will be restocked after Chromagnon back orders have shipped. Progress is steady…but slow by necessity. The pandemic still exists and continues to exert pressure on the tiny operation that is LZX.

I hope you can hang in there through weird 2020. Great things are happening at LZX–just not at all like we expected.

7 Likes

It’s probably worth noting that once you have a “core” set of modules - sync gen, input, ramps and output, there are a growing number of options coming on to the DIY market that will fill the gaps. If you are comfortable sourcing and assembling components to a Panel & PCB set, consider that option…

Your intended use will determine what modules to source, and maybe use this “pause period” to further your learning and refine the intended system purchasing.

It’s already been mentioned, but it’s just bad timing with COVID, which hit LZX right in the middle of this transition period of modules. You can be sure that LZX wanted the transition to be smoother than this, but there’s only so many possible-delays you can factor in if you’re telling someone an estimated release date, and no one ever factors in the possibility that a global pandemic could happen.

2 Likes

I feel the same, I’ve just bought a case and PSU3! Could really do with another quick run of Cadet I sync boards in the mean time so at least there’s something available that generates a master sync signal. Would be great to get a sneak peak at the new DIY range Lars mentioned but I completely understand why COVID has slowed things down.

1 Like

There is someone offering built Cadet I’s:

1 Like

While you’re waiting you could explore other facets of video art, if that interests you. For instance there’s quite a lot you can do with “obsolete” video equipment that’s readily available used, such as SD mixers, cameras, tube TVs, and processors. You can also explore the growing world of Raspberry Pi-based video software like r_e_c_u_r and waaaave_pool, which is easy and affordable to put together. There are also at least a couple digital video synthesis modules, Structure and Hypno are both worth checking out. All of the above will expand the capabilities of your LZX system when you do get it built.

2 Likes

I agree with everyone here, but I particularly like Genlok’s suggestions. I think Structure should fit well with your existing eurorack modules and will work with your LZX system when that arrives.

You’ll need a monitor that can display your video, of course, but there are already threads on this forum covering that.

1 Like

If you have the financial means to buy a whole system at once, they do come up for sale with some regularity. I’d say, since I started paying attention a couple years ago, I’ve seen one posted somewhere or another once every 2–3 months.

Here’s one right now. (No idea if this person is willing to deal with non-local buyers.) (Edit: did hear from one person that they did not have a positive experience trying to work out a deal with this seller FWIW, but YMMV.)

More than scarcity per se, the problem I’ve seen is that used prices have been generally trending upward on the discontinued modules (at least on the easier sources like Ebay and Reverb) — though I did manage to snag a used Visual Cortex at a good price right at the beginning of the pandemic.

1 Like

Thank for the replies and suggestions. I have definitely been keeping at eye out at the aforementioned forums/groups/marketplaces for modules. Right now I’ve got most of what I’ll need preordered or in-route from a few shops that had a few utility modules in stock. At the point in time when I’ll have all the modules I’ve preordered racked (including Chromagnon being finished/delivered) it seems like what I’ll be missing is a way to mix/composite an external video source coming from Andor 1, a keyed image from Memory Palace, and a background layer from Fortress. To the best of my understanding, Marble Index would have been the perfect module for this task. So if anyone has one to part with or finds one in the wild let me know!

1 Like

this can also be done with a video mixer.

never underestimate just how useful an external video mixer is if you have the space for it.

you don’t see many marble indexes pop up especially now since TBC2 is almost out…

the most important module in video synthesis is patience.

the most useful module is knowing what you are trying to make.

5 Likes

Boom! Full stop capital T Truth.

3 Likes

Here’s another one of my “wouldn’t this be nice?” Photoshop renders:

(Again, not taking into account the panel space vs. PCB space issue… This would certainly need to be a couple/few stacked PCBs.)

Added in a scaling switch on the CV input, figuring it could pair nicely with something like a Wobla.

3 Likes

I think @VisibleSignals is working on something like this:

1 Like

Ah, yes. I had seen that, but forgot about it (I tend to be so visual that, if I don’t see something like a full panel sketch, it doesn’t quite register with me; hence the renders).

Nice!

Here’s what my RGB Matrix modules look like (please ignore the red preliminary prototype design, the blues ones are what I’ll be offering). I’m sorry it isn’t announced properly yet, I’m just making some demo videos to show how it works and sorting out the final details to make them easier to assemble.

The Combo panel has two Input sections, an Output section and a Keyer section - I’ve since added text to the panel to indicate this.

9 Likes

Very cool @VisibleSignals. Looking forward to seeing the demos and getting a better handle on the signal flow.

What is the idea behind having a destination switch for A/B? Does it let you sum the A/B channel inputs together into a single RGB out, say channel A, and then channel B is 0V?

It has two RGB buses, and each input can be routed to either the A or B bus (or neither if the Dest switch is centered). The output module has separate RGB outputs for each bus. The keyer crossfades between the A and B bus, based on the luma of bus A or bus B, or an external CV, and has controls for manually adjusting threshold and sharpness of the crossfade.

One of my goals is to start replicating some of the functionality of old home video mixers in eurorack format.

1 Like

Cool. Looking forward to the demos. The blue module at the far left feeds into it as well, through a ribbon cable, right? (If I am reading/remembering the other thread correctly.)

Also: love the implementation of the keyer here!

While it has at times been somewhat of a bummer that LZX hasn’t prevented “holes” in their lineup while switching gears here (albeit totally understandable for so many reasons!), it is kind of nice that it has opened up some more room for others to experiment. Not that the room wasn’t always there, but there seemed to be less incentive when it felt like a full range of options were already available. Glad you, and others, have been picking up the gauntlet, as it were!

Yes, the ‘Direct In’ module has one socket each for the red, green and blue channels. It also has the A/B bus switch too. I use that with Syntonie’s YUV input module so I can mix full colour video input with LZX patterns, colourising it and manipulating it with the keyer/crossfader section. It’s awesome and that’s why I have to put together some demo videos because just looking at those panels you don’t really get an appreciation of what’s actually possible.

2 Likes