LZX Industries 2021-2022 Product Roadmap

Hi everyone! I’d like to present the below roadmap without any discussion of specific dates or dollars yet, please. I’m happy to answer other questions, if it’s something I can speak to yet. We felt like this was an important junction in which to share with you the list of SKUs planned surrounding the projects next on deck for us throughout 2021-2022. Things may change (especially the exact names of everything) but this is the vision as it currently stands.

Happy New Year!!

31 Likes

@creatorlars I think you just made my brain explode. Huge thanks to you and your team for making such wild experimentation with video signals possible and still providing for the DIY community. Look forward to seeing this roadmap play out and see where you go from here!

3 Likes

This is an amazing and ambicious roadmap
cant wait to see how this new instruments/modules make the current LZX evolve, grow and inspire all LZX pilots.

May main interest is in the new quadrature vcos “rotate” and “scroll” wanted to know if they are planed as video bandwidth modules (rotation, etc) or just subaudio rated like the navigator.

1 Like

Re: Rotate & Scroll, oscillators are analog VCLFOs that will go into audio range for modulation. The Verbs panel are all 2-in-1 + combo functions. For example, Rotate is a Rotator + VCLFO, where the combo function is “Auto Rotate.” The Rotate angle itself, I’m not sure how we’ll derive it for the module.
If you want the “ultra rotator”, that’s all inside Chromagnon. This one is meant more for quick ramps processing in a synthesis patch.
The Scroll function is a video phase shifter, allowing you to slide your analog ramps around in whatever vector the ramps are oriented. So you can make any pattern drift like an analog VCO does, but with much more control. The Verbs+Foundation panels as a system, propose a video synthesis methodology which is absent of high speed VCOs; it’s all done by ramps shaping. That’s why we have Perspective, which is a massive “Wall Of Ramps” module with lots of fixed sources.

8 Likes

This all sounds amazing! Any interesting interface ideas you can talk about for working some of these, more or deeper responseive data/info of function, joy stick, jog wheel, maybe something like the e touch touche? Would love to see a cv tuning oscope type module (or potentially firmware if possible for existing modules) specifically for lzx signals I can fit into the rack. Really excited about lzx’s future!

1 Like

Covidiot & Spritechild will both feature some conceptual control panel elements, continuing in Escher Sketch’s tradition. Memory Codex will definitely feature a transport and jog wheel. The analog modules are very strictly gridded out in this new series, minimal markings and comprehensible. Foundations + Verbs are meant to be a bit austere and classic – they are classroom / lab instruments.

10 Likes

The sync generator / ramps combo makes a lot of sense to me, nice

1 Like

It is the long awaited “Wall Of Ramps” that has been requested many times! In the Foundations + Verbs system concept, all of the waveform sources come from this module providing reference ramps and angles. Patterns are created by Fold (which is the equivalent to a dual VCO, when provided ramps sources.) Patterns are given motion (rotation or drifting) with Scroll and Rotate modules. Kind of like a “step by step build your own pattern with action verbs” concept.

12 Likes

Can you speak more about Memory Codex? Been excited about a sampler since when you were just dreaming up Mempal years ago. Would it basically piggyback on TBC2’S inputs and beable to utilize those 2 channels to sample from? Preview monitor(s)? Jog wheel YES PLEASE!

Would you expect potentially lengthy sample times? Not trying to corner you into any kind of promises - just curious if you’re expecting something like 1min+ sample capability?

4 Likes

Awesome news to begin 2021 :star_struck:
Thanks @Lars & to everyone @LZX & the community members here for helping to make 2020 bearable :pray:t3:
I haven’t read the Google doc but things sound super interesting from what’s written in the connects so far :+1:t3:
Happy New Beer :beers: from Berlin :hugs:

Holy shit also triplet? You’re suggesting it’s 2 TVFKG’s? Rad.

1 Like

& it’s got the Tower implemented into it? :wink:
Kinda teasing :grin:

This all sounds amazing.

[Putting on my patience pants.]

1 Like

Nice. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out! Sounds like there’s going to be A LOT that I’m going to want to get! I better start saving now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The vision for Memory Codex at the moment involves the theme of a multi-track compositor. I want the ability to composite a 15 minute short film, for example, gradually over several months and across many sessions, by carefully layering masked patterns onto frames; I want to be able to do this like a stop motion designer would, frame by frame, and also in algorithmic ways with voltage control in real time. I want an internal compositor used to mix down to a master file like you would with a 4-track. So that’s my direction of interest. Ed and Jonah have their own ideas on what they’d like to see out of it as well, and have some very interesting ideas from the clip sequencing and programming angles. So we’ll all collaborate and we’ll be in the position to really get some early feedback from you when we preview some of the features.

As far as latency goes – and immediate (like being able to load a bank of clips and switch/play across them with zero latency up, is important, even if that caps your sampling time in a way that continuous streaming modes don’t.)

Since the design has committed to being able to upgrade from the TBC2 hardware, we will work with that as our base for Codex. Meaning our limitations on sampling times and decoding speed are going to get worked at and optimized for the platform, and we won’t know what they exactly are until we hit them. It’s possible we’ll change have to change course or the identity of the module as we go. We also don’t know how much the expander panel is going to cost or how much external hardware is going to be involved. But we DO have a pretty badass structure on which to do all of this, with the software architecture for TBC2/Mempal starting to mature.

19 Likes

That’s correct, Perspective has angled ramp outputs just like the Tower idea, in, at a minimum, 45 degree angle increments (so 8 jacks of linear ramp vectors.) We may do 30 degree increments, or some mixes. Maximum jack density in our new form factor is 32 jacks in 12HP. It will probably be more like 24 outputs. There will probably be a noise source and low frequency ramp/envelope as well.

6 Likes

Thank you for the unintended yet extraordinary (& slighty blated :wink:) winter solstice gift :gift::grin:@creatorlars

good news for this new year!
All the DIY things sound wonderful! (as well as all those monsterpanels)

1 Like

Amazing news!
Very thorough and ambitious, it’s great.
I’m intrigued about spritechild and SSE. Since diver and MP/TBC2 are completely different platforms I have no idea at this point what Spritechild could be. Exciting!

1 Like

Super stoked for memory codex and spritechild. It seems to me like the plan is to have larger dense modules which will have features not available on the combinations of smaller modules. Im very excited about the new line of diy options, though I can already assume I’m going to be building a new case. In the third generation and beyond post the sampler/mixer module was mentioned. Im just curious a bit about the ambition there, if it will be more than just A/B composition along with sampling.

1 Like