The Memory Palace Experience (Unf#$&ing El Palacio de la Memoria)

Next problem with v2.0.1 :
Can anybody tell my the media loader ramps are all 16:9?

Aspect ratio is set to 4:3. Format Pal

The black bars are better visible with tile & reflect
(and the stuff which is tile & reflect is really jittery… but maybe thats also a betaversion problem)

Nobody had this problem?

I think I just got used to the black bars. I actually use them a lot as a compositional element. It helps breaking apart some patterns.

You are in berlin? Maybe a pal problem? Didn’t had this prob in v19.

No problem, aside from the fact that the images included with Memory Palace are sized for NTSC (720x486) and not PAL (720x576). You would have to resize the stills to make them fit a PAL frame.

Ok, good to know. Were the pal versions included in the v19 firmware? Absolutely sure they were shown full size.

The images included with V19 are the same ones in V2.0.1

1 Like

Got a mp yesterday and i’ve noticed a major issue that hasn’t been discussed anywhere yet (which kind of surprises me) The cooling fan is loud! I had desktop computers that weren’t as loud as my mp unit.Not sure yet if i’m gonna keep it,but i urgently need more functions added to my liitle system and i’m still waiting (over a year now) for the chromagnon.

1 Like

Search in this thread about a fan replacement. Not sure if it voids your warranty but I did it on mine and it’s significantly quieter.

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with a soldering iron,so i guess that replacing the wire is gonna be a bit tricky,but i’ll have to give it a go regardless.I haven’t done much with the mp in this short period of time,but i can see some potential and useful functions here.

1 Like

I disassembled mine and soldered pin headers in place of the original black/red fan wires so I can easily swap it out later. This can be very risky if you’re not used to electronics disassembly–there is a flat ribbon connector that can be easily ripped and render your Memory Palace an expensive paper weight.

The simplest way to go about it is to cut the black/red wires going to the fan with plenty of slack so that you can securely splice them together and heatshrink the exposed connections to avoid any shorts. You’ll also need some slightly longer screws as the fan linked above is 2mm deeper than the stock fan.

In the scope of possible soldering jobs, this is a relatively simple one–if it doesn’t feel like a comfortable task, I’d highly suggest asking a friend who might have a bit more experience. Again, just be aware this could void your warranty. I didn’t ask LZX before I modified mine but the fan noise was driving me nuts.

Being able to write to a frame buffer is unbelievably useful in a video synthesizer context and the vertex displacement mode makes liquid patches a snap. Not everything on the screen has to be generated in real time which is the usual ‘gotcha’ with analog video synths.

2 Likes

I wonder if LZX is planning to, or would consider, using a different stock fan for MPs built moving forward?

Between this forum and FB, fan noise does actually seem to be a fairly common complaint.

(…At very least, installing via a header, as Rempesm did, as stock — to make user upgrade slightly easier — could be a middle ground.)

3 Likes

I was thinking about cable splicing.Looks like that’s how i’m gonna do it.Just need to find a retailer in eu who has all the necessary parts.Thanks for all the useful info. :+1:

2 Likes

Short of replacing the fan, another thing to try is rack in a deeper case? Installing in a shallow case tends to accentuate the fan noise I discovered. I thought LZX was going to consider an option to adjust fan speed into a future firmware update.

1 Like

I’m getting noise or small pixels from the video outputs of my mp on the left side of the screen .It seems to have pattern.

Is that a defect or a feature?

That’s from the CVBS outputs? Have your tried the DVI-D?

Nope,would be a bit difficult to set up atm,but i’m getting it on the rgb outs and the rca jacks.I’m routing the rgb signal into a structure module,which feeds into my tv and a shuttle express.

I’ve recorded a couple of clips today.The noise is barely visible in one of them and not at all in two others.Still want to get rid of it if possible.

1 Like

Do you see the noise only when running through Structure, or is it visible when monitoring from the TV and shuttle?

1 Like

No,i also took video directly from memory palace and it’s still there.I see it on the tv and imac,where i record video.Looks like it’s definitely mp.Never had it before with structure,vidiot and my other lzx modules.

1 Like

OK. The next step is to reinstall the firmware. If that does not solve the issue, send an email to support@lzxindustries.net

1 Like