Sync extraction circuit

Yeah, It would be easier to have this kind of functionality in a CPLD based device – for this module, what you have is already good. I’d just send O/E out the same as the last schematic, but non-inverted.

On the PCB itself, I’d put thruhole pads / pin header for “non inverted” and “inverted” versions of all the different syncs coming out of LMH1980 if you’ve got the room. That makes it easy for a DIY’er to experiment with the signals. For example, Burst Gate is handy if you’re doing a video input amp/DC restore circuit, and regular (non inverted) versions of VSYNC and HSYNC would be handy if you’re doing a DIY encoder or something.

Another easy extension would be an LED that’s driven from the HD/SD flag, that way you’ve got some kind of format detector on the panel. Not really necessary though.

3 Likes

Lars thanks for the great support, I’d love to put a led on the HD detector but I guess I’d need a new op-amp to buffer the signal and avod issues on chrominance filter :frowning:

BTW I did my best to create a breakout for the various sync signals, here it is! They are all unbuffered but I guess they are enough as expander/diy option.

2 Likes

Aaaand here’s a preview with the panel

1 Like

@vhsdestroyer @dubpixel do you want to help me test this?
I don’t have a syncable VCO at the moment (that’s because I didn’t have a sync source :smiley: )
So I only can assembly it and test with the oscilloscope.

We can talk privately if you want.

2 Likes

I’d love to. Sending DM

1 Like

Is the LMH1980 on the other side of the board? I don’t see the footprint in your pics.

Yes! It’s on the other side with some resistors and the 74HC14, they are surface mounted and inspecting other modules is realise that to put them on the ground plane side can be a smart move.

Luca! Did you ever get this finished and working?? Because I want what you have! I want to incorporate vertical interval switching throughout my system, and to do that I need to extract vertical sync. I would be quite happy to commission you to build one of these, as I am not competent to do it myself.

If not, then maybe I can make something happen with the Chromagnon V output… I assume these are horizontal and vertical drive sawtooths? I might be able to convert to vertical interval trigger by putting it through a comparator and/or sample-hold.

Thanks

Aaron

Hi!
I’m back on this, the last year I’ve lost the focus on DIY projects.
I’m reviewing the board and hopefully improving the traces.

I’m not sure about the packages sizes, I’m going with KiCad’s “Resistor_SMD:R_1206_3216Metric_Pad1.30x1.75mm_HandSolder” I hope they are good.

1 Like

Hi,
the project is still in deep alpha state, I’ve printed the first run of boards and realised that was not possible to easily solder everything, at least for me…
To be noted that is not a ramp generator, but only sync extraction, this means that the jacks will output just small trigger pulses.

2 Likes

The board now is 50mm deep, previously was 40mm.

I’ve removed the breakout to dismiss a couple of SMD resistors, and simplify (hopefully) the build.

5 Likes

This is cool! Keep us posted, maybe we can do a group buy when you order the boards!

Very cool @esnho! I’ve been using a Syntonie VU009 video-synced sawtooth oscillator through a comparator, and that’s working. But a simple sync extractor would be more elegant.

1 Like

Hey, that’s a smart approach!
I’m slow but working on this, I’m scared AF by the SMD part, but if it works it should be interesting for HD timings as well.

@Boneoh sure, please follow this thread :wink:

2 Likes

For me, it absolutely needs to support 1080i59. My whole studio uses that format.

I don’t have the possibility to test if it’s actually supported, my whole setup is PAL, on the paper it should, but I can’t confirm it.
Someone have to take the risk and test it.
At the moment of writing I should be considered as an enthusiast/hobbyist/DIYer not a business man.

As you can see from above I changed my design from SD only to SD/HD support, it would be great if it works! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks good to me! The LMH1980 is a great part, and what we’re using in all the LZX Gen3 modules, so should be compatible with the 15 standards including 1080i5994. You are buffering with high speed opamps, so there shouldn’t be any issue with the narrower pulsewidths of the HD syncs.

5 Likes

Work in progress, I’ve received revB boards, and successfully soldered the harder component (the IC at the center), moving to the others.

9 Likes

Fantastic, Luca! Is this going to be 4HP? Saving space in the rack for this!

Yess, I’m working on a vertical PCB with 4hp panel, it’s 50mm depth + RCA connectors on the back.
I’ve just realised that I’ve forgot to order a component (330nf caps), I though I had them :smiley: .
I’ll be able to test it in February, if everything works as expected I’ll send the PCB to a couple of person I’m in contact with for testing.
I hope the test will be successful!

5 Likes