Suggestions for a Video Camera or Source

I actually just got a couple GoPro 3+, with the mini-usb to composite plug (off Ebay it ended up being about $65 plus shipping each) for my vidiot and other composite friendly toys. I use it going into my BM Intensity and it’s a pretty nice small footprint option.

1 Like

A very fancy (and weirdly expensive) DAC was announced today - preorder for $79.99. They say on the site that it has RGB / component out, but I only see a VGA port. I guess there’s adapters? No idea.

Gold plated connectors! :expressionless:

It is convenient that retro gaming is on the rise…though it’s made it a bit harder to find old TV’s at thrift shops? Or maybe that’s just that the old tv’s are…really old.

This sounds interesting. What is a tube camera?

@Fallinggirl : these are very oldskool cameras that give realy nice results when you do feedback with them.
But they might be hard to find , big and heavy .
more info:

CCD security cameras also work good, those are much cheaper and small. (so easy to position and rotate)

1 Like

These look incredible! I’m going to search eBay for one. Right now I’m using a backup camera for a car but it’s angle is too wide. Worst case scenario I’ll get a cctv cam. Thanks so much!

Professional tube cameras will generally have a genlock/sync input which could simplify things. I’m sure there are a zillion capable cameras but the sony DXC-1820 comes to mind.

You probably don’t want a 3 tube camera - way too much complexity unless you really know what you’re doing.

I believe the Canon VC 30, 40, 50 were good consumer cameras but you’d need to come up with a 10pin to video and power solution

2 Likes

Many old CCTV cameras will also have genlock/sync. I think the main advantage of a tube camera will be the imperfections. All the old cameras have those, but perhaps the tube cams have better (more fun) imperfections? I don’t know. I’ve only watched some YouTube videos demonstrating the differences. I’ve never seen one on ebay.

The biggest difference with tube cameras is that they have a light streaking effect:

As reverselandfill said, this can create interesting results with feedback.

In addition to old professional gear, there are many smaller early consumer camcorders that use tubes instead of CCDs. But as prakodr mentions, they often use connectors/jacks that are non-standard, at least to connect the cameras to the oft-separate recording units. Finding all the correct cables/adapters, power supplies, etc. can be difficult.

Sometimes searching for the tube names (newvicon, vidicon, etc.) yields some good results on Ebay — though also, if people know what tubes are inside, they are more likely to be asking higher prices. At very least, I have found that can be a decent way of discovering which old camcorder models are tube-based.

4 Likes

Could anyone share a picture of the power cord on their Cp460? Just picked up some 470’s and having trouble knowing how to power them.

Both are 120v/60hz 4.8W. Thanks!

I just bought two tube cameras and they are awesome. The velvety texture is heavenly. One even has genlock.

4 Likes

Which models of tube camera did you get?

1 Like

I bought a Canon VC-30 and a JVC GX-S700U. They are absolutely spectacular and you can pick them up cheap.

1 Like

Since we’re gloating, I’ve started unpacking gear that’s been in storage for 5+ years… pretty happy to find stuff I forgot about:
An old Sony HVM-100CE camera, which is a vidicon tube model - have a HVC-200P keyer too! :sunglasses:

Just hope they still work when I plug them in

3 Likes