Reasons for a sync not to work (Sync Generator, Visual Cortex)

Hey folks. :slight_smile:
As far as I understand a sync generator looks for the sync pulse of the video data and so uses it to display the video properly.
But what difficulties can it face? From my primitive understanding I think either there is a sync pulse in the video data and the sync generator gets it or there isn’t and it doesn’t.
(beside trying to sync a PAL signal in NTSC mode)

Can you describe your setup?

I plugged the composite signal of a Super Nintendo into the gamma in on my Visual Cortex. By the red light i can tell sync did not work.
I try to learn something technical here as well, if any of you are versed in this.

Sorry I talked about the Gamma=Green=Y RCA input, in wich I pluged the composite cinch plug.
The Problem is not that I only get a b/w image but that the synchronization is not working…

The super nintendo does not send proper PAL or NTSC, but lower resolutions as far as i understand.

4 Likes

That’s correct, SNES is 240p, not 480i. So it will not work as a video source without format conversion.

1 Like

I also tried setting my bluray player output to 576i and used a Hdmi to YPbPb converter, also no sync established.

1 Like

Some converters can be dodgy. Try using a native NTSC/PAL device and see if it won’t lock. If so, then there’s potentially a problem with your Visual Cortex.

2 Likes