Multi-channel LZX/BSO Video and Vector Synthesis/Scan Processing System

Hello fellow video synth enthusiasts! This is my first post to this forum but I have been working with video synths for a number of years now with a strong emphasis on vector synthesis. So I thought it was past time I share my current configuration in case it might spark any new ideas with your own setups.

The Vessels pictured here primarily consist of LZX and BSO modules where each case focuses on a particular method but of course can be used together for larger and more complex patches. Currently, the Visual Cortex is the sync source for everything and I’m putting to use the handy sync i/o on the side of the Vessels to daisy chain them.

The black vessel is primarily for Orion series/frame buffer-based video, the hot pink mostly for processing external video sources and pattern generation. Output over YPbPr drives a 20 inch Ikegami broadcast monitor (HD analog) as well as a pair of b+w security monitors that have a very unique shadow mask and great for re-scanning. Digital capture is done with a BMD Video Assist 4k via a Roland V4-EX mixer. I chain a Samsung LCD monitor off the Video Assist for a bigger digital capture preview screen.

The green Vessel is mostly geared towards vector synthesis and scan processing. It can support at least two distinct sets of XYZ signal paths which opens some doors for doing vector shape morphing effects. The case contains three Navigators which when chained together allow for 3-axis rotation of vector images. XYZ signal outputs are routed to an Extron matrix switcher which allows for some flexibility as to which XY displays to send signals to. I also have an audio interface with dc-coupled outputs on-hand that allows for XY signals generated from software to be patched in for further manipulation by the vector synth itself which can yield some great results.

The tower of XY displays consist of two modified Vectrex’s, 2x Leader LBO-51ma’s, 2x Tektronix 620’s and 2x HP 1332a’s. Each of which provide varying degrees of sharpness and glow that I like to use for different phosphor aesthetics. Using them in pairs allows me to use one as a direct “preview” monitor while patching and the other matching one covered with a homemade lens hood for re-scanning the scopes in a lit room.

The rack also has a color vector gaming monitor that I modified to accept XYRGB dc-coupled signals directly, but I burnt out the amps for the deflection coils while sending it higher bandwidth signals. I hope to get it up and running again soon but it will most likely be limited to simple color-based oscillographics. Perhaps Chromagnon’s bandwidth-limiting feature will be helpful in this situation.

For re-scanning I use a BMDPCC4K video camera with a Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro lens. The camera itself can capture up to 4k video to a CF card, but can simultaneously send a preview output in 1080p as a live feed back into the video synth for further processing/colorization of vector images. This is where I’m really looking forward to having a TBC2 and other Gen3 modules allowing further processing with no loss in resolution of the original re-scanned images which will be part of the next iteration of this setup.

The dual EMS Synthi-A’s are used primarily as a source of modulation for the visuals and sound of course. But I often use them as sources for X and Y with vector synthesis patches too. They conveniently have separate dc-coupled CV outputs and plays quite nicely with video-synthesis in general. You can see some examples of the synesthetic quality of using Synthi’s with video synths on my vimeo channel here:

“Nuuun” is a project my partner Jahnavi and I collaborate on with Atom™. The ones up there now are early scan processing compositions we recorded with him at his studio in Santiago de Chile. There will be more to come with projects we have done with him. Also check out Jahnavi and I’s experimental a/v project called L’Astra Cosmo in the same vimeo channel.

You can also follow us on Instagram here:
https://www.instagram.com/lastracosmo

I hope this info was interesting and helpful to at least some of you. :slight_smile:
-cm

23 Likes

Wow! Amazing setup and lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Thanks Chad! LZX has been a huge inspiration to me going back to the Visionary series and never thought I’d would be going this far with the visual tools. But Lars kept inventing new and exciting modules that I could not resist, haha!

2 Likes

super cool and very functional looking setup. Would love to mess around on this setup.

@sixtoo416

1 Like

Hey @crixmadine, here’s a fresh post elsewhere on the forum that should be right up your alley :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Robbertunist , thanks for the heads up on this! I wishI lived in the E.U. to make it more feasible to directly participate in VHF in person. I hope some day I can for this festival. I may consider submitting something for consideration to be screened, but alas what I do is meant to be experienced live.

3 Likes

Hi from Canada @crixmadine,

I’m looking for an xy display for displaying some audio. I’ve been considering the same ones I see in your rack! Between the lbo-251ma, 620’s & 1332a’s which have the best brightness & sharpness in you opinion? ((Also been searching for a tektronix 760, 603 or leader 8535 or lbo-9c))

Thank you,

Mark

Hi Mark @ArtVandelay,
In my opinion, the LBO-51ma has the best sharpness and brightness control when compared to the 620’s and 13332a’s. I can get a lot more detail from LBO-51ma due to the finer beam. But I can still get some great results from the other scopes of course. They just have a different look including more “bloom” for a bit of a different glowing aesthetic. Likewise with a modified Vectrex, it has a different look too where the beam has a more “illustrative” or “brush stroke” quality to it, not to mention the very pleasing white phosphor. The one downside though is the Vectrex has limited bandwidth and can only best handle audio rate signals before the raster begins to fold in on itself when feeding it higher video rate signals.

I can’t speak for the other XY displays you mention as I don’t have experience with them, but I hope the info above is helpful to you. Good luck on your quest for your XY display!
Cheers,
crix madine

Thanks for the quick reply @crixmadine ! :smiley:

Thanks for your insight on the LBO-51ma. That helps me a lot. How is the contrast on it between the beam & the screen? I see in your picture you may have taken off the original cover/plastic/glass screen from it? Is that just to remove the grid?

My dad actually has a Vectrex but, that’s one of his childhood treasures & I’m not really allowed to play with it lol

Could do me a favour & check out this video & let me know how you think the LBO-51ma compares against the Tektronix 760? (Demo starts @ ~5 min mark)

Thank you,

Mark

Hi Mark,
I take off the graticule if the scope has a removable one, but some scopes do etch the grid into the glass of the CRT itself which you cannot remove of course. So you will want to look out for that if want an unobscured screen.

The contrast on the LBO-51ma is the best of all the scopes I have with less phosphor “bloom” as mentioned before. In fact, most of the time I tend to turn the intensity of the beam down as otherwise it can be overly bright when I’m re-scanning with a camera. I like to have good black levels when capturing with a camera.

Regarding the Tektronix 760A, it looks comparable to LBO-51ma in terms of the how fine the beam is. But having an additional input for brightness (like the Z Input on the LBO-51ma) I find to be essential to have. It looks as though the Tektronix 760A has an “Auxiliary” input, but I’m uncertain if it can be configured (via dip switches?) as a control to the beam brightness or not. Maybe someone else here who has one can confirm this? Having a Z input is important to me as it can give your oscillographics extra dimension with a more spatial 3D illusion effect when modulating it.
thx,
-crix madine

Ah OK, I’m not sure if the graticule comes off the 760, but I think you can control the brightness of the grid if you want you can turn it down.

With the graticule screens… I’ve seen the same scopes with different beam colours/background darknesses & I’ve assumed that its different shades of glass/screens being used that produce that. For instance, the LBO-51ma looks to be a light grey back ground with blueish green beam. While the 760 had a darker background & brighter green beam. Do you think that its just the glass tint providing the extra contrast?

For my case, I just want to use the scope for audio. Is the Z input beneficial for audio too? Or is it more for complex images with “shading”?

Thank you,

Mark

The Tektronix 760A has a beautifully sharp beam, unfortunately it’s an audio analyzer not an oscilloscope so the signal path may not enable video-rate images to be displayed…

I own two of them, both had PSU failure within a month of purchasing them :sob: so can’t tell you much more about them
They do look amazing, it must be said, but I’d say they’re best for audio-rate squiggliness than video scan processing

Oh and I don’t think they’re capable of these visuals either, which is a shame:

1 Like

XYZ scopes are also good for audio oscillographics, so you can modulate the brightness of the beam.

Scopes do have different colored phosphors. They may also have a transparency in front of the screen. The background color is 100% due to ambient lighting. For rescanning with a camera, you need some kind of rig to block the ambient light in the scene. If no ambient light is hitting the CRT screen, then the background will be absolutely black.

If you’re not going to be pushing video through a scan conversion process, then dedicated vector monitors are an expensive way to go.

1 Like

Thank for your response @Rik_bS ! All I’m looking for is audio visualization. The only other dedicated audio-only scope I’ve seen is the Leader 5835. But, they are hard to come by like the 760 & expensive too.

The LBO-51ma seems to bit slightly more reasonably priced. Do you agree that its similar quality to the 760 in terms of sharpness & brightness? Or does the 760 take the win?

I’m sorry your PSU’s failed! That SUCKS. I hope it isn’t a common issue with them.

@dryodryo For me I won’t be doing any rescanning. I’m just looking for something I can easily see in ambient lighting. I think with the right shade of glass in front I should be able to achieve this.