Memory Palace Dev Blog July/August 2018

wow that is fantastic news
I’m not sure if it would be something worth exploring but can it be toggled at video rates?

a happy medium that pairs a couple channels together could be nice too
opacity, hue, saturation, brightness
threshold, soften
delay, feedback
X,Y
rotation, zoom, stretch
or something along those lines

but then again there is something nice about the simplicity of global CV scaling

Yes.

Unplanned feature, but possible with the hardware. The analog outs (RGB + CVBS/YC) will always be the same signal, but the DVI out could take its feed from a different part of the signal path and may be capable of additional resolutions. The real question is what you mean by “dry and wet” and why you want it. :slight_smile: We’ll let you tell us after you get a chance to play with it.

2 Likes

wow that is fantastic news
I’m not sure if it would be something worth exploring but can it be toggled at video rates?

Probably not, but that’s part of the reason for the internal keyer and alpha channel (video rate key input.) The Opacity CV slider/channel are video rate analog as well (they sum with the alpha input.) So you can create a video rate effects mask with an external key, gate, or gradient, for video rate wet/dry switching.

a happy medium that pairs a couple channels together could be nice too
opacity, hue, saturation, brightness
threshold, soften
delay, feedback
X,Y
rotation, zoom, stretch
or something along those lines

That’s possible! The sections are divided up like this:
Opacity (modulation for the Alpha channel input)
Hue, Saturation & Brightness (related to the CSC: colorspace converter)
Threshold & Softness (related to the Keyer/Alpha compositor)
Delay & Feedback (related to the frame memory storage and its feedback loop to the keyer)
X, Y, Rotation, Zoom, Stretch (related to the DVE, digital video effects)

Most of the pushbutton features are related to the DVE, the others relate to parameter modes (auto-scroll, auto-spin, etc) and some are related to the buffer (clear/freeze)

2 Likes

We’re focusing on 480i/576i resolutions right now, but will add HD formats and an upscaler for the DVI output if we can (the hardware is capable of it.) A lot of that has to do with whether or not we take a processing hit that in any way compromises the effects themselves. We’d of course love to offer multiple upscaler modes that can be tuned. All that said, the 24-bit RGB signal path and uncompressed memory/feedback of this device does things to SD video that are smoother and richer than anything I’ve seen before in the format. It preserves the beauty of the analog signals in a patch incredibly well, and that’s our biggest priority!

4 Likes

Are there Settings/options that MIDI can tickle which aren’t available to modulate via CV inputs?

3 Likes

No, probably not. We’re trying to avoid feature creep in that direction entirely. However given that there’s only a single trigger/gate input (which can be mapped to anything) you could probably have a lot of fun doing more complex sequencing of the pushbutton modes via a multi-channel MIDI trigger sequencer.

With this piece of hardware, we already have the core application running and looking beautifully – what happens for the next few weeks is implementation of all our stretch goal features. The priority for us is to push the hardware to its limits (providing maximum value to all of you, in owning a dedicated digital video platform) but those pushes will likely be in the area of maximizing the fidelity and latency of everything in the core applications rather than adding new features, unless it makes sense to do otherwise.

1 Like

9 Likes

That display looks fantastic! Simple, E-Z to read layout. More and more psyched every time I get another glimpse.

Thanks! We just finished making custom fonts today. This view shows the current version of basic parameter selection screens, but some pages will also have animated elements (that respond to the sliders) and we’re hoping to get full speed video preview going as well. The OLED really looks stunning in person.

3 Likes

looks very nice thanks for sharing

Is the soften circuit similar to edge feathering or even across whole image?

That’s the edge softness of the key.

1 Like