LZX Timeline Module

I can’t speak to what happened to that prototype but you can totally patch the idea of an animation timeline generator up without this specific module.

Take the frame sync out from Cadet I / Visual Cortex / VSG, put it into a clock divider, then feed that divided clock into a tap tempo LFO that has a linear ramp waveform output set to a 0-1V range.

This will give you a modulation source that only updates at the top of the frame and provides the basis of creating many linked sub-animation events from this primary timeline.

To create ‘events’, you could use comparators (possibly windowed) with fixed thresholds at say 0V, 0.25V, 0.5V, 0.75V on the main ramp waveform, then take their gate outputs to sync other LFOs, trigger envelopes, etc. Make the comparator thresholds variable and now you’re able to change at what fraction of the total timeline length each event occurs. A 0.1V threshold would give you a gate when 10% of the timeline has passed.

If you don’t want to dedicate LFOs/EGs as modulators in this patch setup, or if you want a linear modulation ramp split across many different parameter inputs in sequence, rectifiers are the way to go. You can derive as many smaller modulation segments from one source as you like by using multiples of this. Both Arch and Fox’s Dual Rectifier offer easily patchable rectifiers.

Whether it’s Arch’s Darks/Lights or Dual Rectifier’s Top/Bottom outputs, it’s the same function where you essentially split a 1V signal into two halves that still are 1V on their outputs. The slope from 0-0.5V is on your Darks/Bottom output and the other half of the slope from 0.5V-1V comes out on the Lights/Top output. Keep in mind that the Darks/Bottom output remains saturated while the ramp stays above 0.5V so it will sort of ‘hold’ while the timeline ramp finishes its cycle up to 1V and then resets to 0V. It’s possible to patch them up as exclusive outputs but I won’t muddy the waters here.

You can keep on chaining each rectifier’s output into another rectifier to further split the amount of modulation segments you have available to patch out separately. If you use 3 rectifier sections, you can get 1/4 segments of 1V. Going as far as 7 rectifier sections, you could divide your timeline into 8 continuous sections that all spit out full 0-1V signals. There’s nothing stopping you from multing out the upstream stages of the rectifiers put into series–it just gives you larger fractions of time to patch elsewhere.

These segments could be waveshaped, mixed back together–whatever you can dream up but they will always occur in a linear sequence if a rising 1V ramp is the primary timeline source. Using Log/Expo functions on these segments would give you the basis of easing curves so you can alter the rate of change from 0-1V. A full wave rectifier (saw to triangle converter available as Mirror on Arch and Fold on Dual Rectifier) would cause the segment to go up to its maximum and then back down to minimum value within the original segment’s duration. Additional full wave rectifiers in series on the same segment output will give you multiple repetitions of this modulation segment but still within the same time duration.

You could invert/bias the timeline ramp itself to make it ‘reverse’ direction (1V->0V). Log/Expo functions applied to the timeline ramp would do the same thing as with the individual segments. Using an exponential shaper would mean that the animation would appear to slowly traverse its timeline at the start but then get faster the closer it gets to the end of its cycle. Opposite for a logarithmic shaper that would quickly traverse most of its timeline and then slowly complete the rest of the cycle. Again, the total length of time is not changed unless you alter the timing of the module generating your original timeline ramp.

A full wave rectifier here gives you a back and forth kind of animation effect as it changes the overall shape of the timeline from 0V-1V to 0V->1V->0V. Same deal with adding more full wave rectifiers to the timeline waveform–one extra stage would double how many times the back and forth timeline occurs within the same amount of time set by the frequency of the LFO or whatever you use.

EDIT: @creatorlars Please school me if I’m getting my wires crossed here.

16 Likes