Le Cadavre Exquis

Let’s play a game!

I assume most people are familiar with the surrealist game of the Exquisite Corpse, where a piece is passed around and collaboratively constructed, one segment at a time, with each collaborator only seeing a small part of the previous contribution, yes?

It occurs to me that this might be a fun exercise to embark upon in the new year here.

Possible “rules” of the game:

1. Initiator creates a 40 second video and passes the final 10 seconds to the next participant.

2. This person takes these 10 seconds as a starting point for a 40 second video. Smooth transitions from previous video encouraged but not required. The first frame of the 10 given seconds must remain intact but thereafter they can fade/mix/sample/re-sample/loop/distort/mangle/add/subtract to their heart’s content. No limitations as far as gear or methodology (though use of some LZX gear somewhat expected).

3. They then pass their final 10 seconds to the next person and so on.

4. All participants send their full contributions to the initiator, who edits together the first 30 seconds of each into one continuous video, adding a final 30 seconds of their own to the end.

Anyone want to play?

(Or have suggestions for better methodologies? If not many people want to do it, we could maybe at least extend the length of individual contributions.)

5 Likes

Love the idea of collaborative video painting.

@pbalj and I tried doing a live version of Cadavre Exquis over livestream many months ago where one person makes a composition in 5 minutes, reveals a thin vertical line to the other player who then creates theirs following on from that and the final composition is then revealed to both. Both participants need to have a way to do a wipe to black into their capture card which they then livestream. One person has to composite the two (I used OBS to pull in both streams) and not ‘cheat’ by looking at the window but potentially a third person could be the live compositor. This may also help with bandwidth issues as we had a bit of an issue with lag. Static compositions could solve this, too.

I do like the idea of creating a longform composition in the manner you described, though. Down to give it a go so lemme know if you want to try either approach, @sean.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBUUOEaBXte/?igshid=1hcuz73lrev5n

2 Likes

Ah, yes, thought I recalled this coming up before but didn’t find anything with a simple search here. Very cool!

Your livestream methodology sounds interesting but guess I was trying to think of something that could easily accommodate wide participation — if there is interest.

Sort of thinking of this in a similar vein as the prior pure synthesis challenges, but collaborative rather than competitive, more open to other image-making strategies, and perhaps more friendly to folks with smaller systems as well.

2 Likes