How can I duplicate a shape?

Hi I am hoping to get some ideas on how to duplicate a shape generated with LZX gear including the Cyclops module. I would like to create a shape such as a circle with some visual modulation, then create a duplicate of it that can be seen next to it for instance. Even better would be having more than one duplicate.
I would like to find some software solution but I am open to any ideas, thanks!! :slight_smile:

So to draw two circles…
You’re still going to be drawing one circle.
But you’re going to draw every other other circle at different X offsets, so that it appears there are two.
Find a way to to get a divided frequency of the original Sin/Cos source (the circle plotter.) If that same VCO has a square wave out or even better a DIV2 out, grab that. Otherwise use some kind of clock divider to get DIV2 from the oscillator’s square wave output.
Then add/mix that square wave to your output signal’s X vector using a mixer of some kind.

EDIT: This is presuming you’re talking about vector synthesis with the Cyclops module and a quadrature oscillator source of some kind. If we’re talking about video synthesis with output to a video encoder, the answer is a bit different.

3 Likes

After reading your response I am thinking simply automating the X offset in a fast fashion will allow me to repeat shapes next to each other quite quickly and this should allow for what I am intending. Thanks a lot for your answer! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I like to use a sequencer, clocked by the “plotter” to position the copies where I want. The length of the sequence determines the number of copies. Also, blanking (red shapes) can be achieved with a square wave, with less than 100% pulse width, modulating the intensity. Otherwise you get connecting lines between the shapes (green shapes).

4 Likes

Oh my god VCV rack has video modules :open_mouth:

I was hoping this would be the case one day, thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

Not yet actually. There are a few different scopes, and a milkdrop vis module. We (trowaSoft) have a suite of ISF based video synthesis modules coming soon. This is our 3 layer oscilloscope with line + fill color & alpha, and blend modes per layer. It’s in our plugin pack (scope, oscillator, sequencers, OSC in/out) on the VCV library. Check it out if you like, it’s free. VCV Library - trowaSoft

4 Likes

Ouh!
That’s amazing!!
If you need any help or testing with the shader side of things, let me know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man that would be fun to have something like a VCV equivalent of the 1v world. Lumen is fun but doesn’t fully do it for me.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind. I was thinking this would be the first place to ask for feedback. A new topic in the software category, when we have something presentable to share, would be the way to go?

2 Likes

ISF seems cool!! It’s kind of like VST but for shaders, right?

Kinda. ISF just adds a user interface layer to GLSL shaders in the form of a json blob at the top of the file. Can be floats, vectors, audio streams (as rows of pixels), video textures, etc… There is a large library and live code editor at editor.isf.video

2 Likes