Eurorack Glitch Modules

it has to be in Germany? Else I’ll be willing to help you (build / or make kits)

1 Like

Hey Martijn :wave:t3:
Myself and other admins of the Berlin Modular group have setup up previous workshops for building DIY modules. This would be the first attempt to do the same for a video synth module.
I’d love to do something like a coordinated build session that we could also coordinate & stream online. It’d be really fun to time it so people across various locations & timezones could either join in from home or with others at a hacker space or a shop where some soldering could be done & the finished modules tested.
Okay, back to reality. Do you have the CVB-001 Martijn? Do you know other people in your area that would be interested in joining you to build one?

I have build the CVB001 recently. (and both the VU002 and VU003)
These are great modules.

I know some people in the Netherlands who would be interested, but I currently live in Italy
A build stream sounds wonderful. and even very do-able . via Zoom / Skype or some other creative streaming platform

3 Likes

I also want to build some of the modules offered by yourself (@reverselandfill) & @syntonie .
An online stream would be great, especially if @creatorlars & the LZX team @Z0NK0UT were interested in getting involved. And also a live stream & interaction with the public for the release of the #chromagnon would be great.

Some of this is getting way out of the boundaries of the original post, time for a new channel/subject.

1 Like

I have also built the CVB001 and VU003 and they are both excellent! Please support Bastian (and Martijn) with their DIY endeavours. Getting a DIY PCB ready for sale to the public is a lot of work. DIY is amazing fun!

3 Likes

Keep me updated if you were to do an online build session, would love to come and help if needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in Berlin, just built my CVB001 but I’d join for anything DIY/video related. :smiley:

1 Like

Super frustrating topic for me - seriously!

My assumption: Buy glitch modules and glitch your structure output(s).

Reality:

• Finding glitch modules is a hard task! Fluxus Duo out of production, Syntonie CBV 001 was in stock at RAW Voltage - and I ordered two. In addition I found a CBV002 on eBay Kleinanzeigen.

• Modules installed, patched and routed through Edirol V4: dead blue screen. :skull_and_crossbones: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I never heard of time based correction (TBC) before - but if you are new to the world of video synthesis - ensure to watch ALL of YOVOZOL gear videos, but this one here is a must:

• Changing the TBC settings on V4 (he is demonstrated the procedure on the V8) did not help anything at all.

• Workaround (big thanks to Rick Burnett): use the Structure output and route through CBV001 and CBV002, go back and choose a video input node on Structure. Rather chaotic and much harder predictable, but no dropouts anymore.

Currently, I am trying to mix the chaotic Structure with a the second with much more subtile settings.
TBC2 seems to be available nowhere in Europe :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

It needs time till tbc2 is available in the EU. Lzx is still fullfilling Tbc2 pre orders made years back. Schneiders allready got a few batches, so i have one but tbc2 will probably not solve your problems. Tested it with cbv001 and it drops out quite often. Easiest way is to rescan a crt or use a mixer with a glitch resist tbc inbetween (but if you are flo, u already told you on the fb forum)

btw its quiete easy to find the syntonie glitchers. They are most of the time in stock at the syntonie website / raw voltage / thonk (diy)/ Schneiders.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes - I am flo :innocent:

If I could get my hands on a sima sfx, I am going to pull the trigger (depending on price - no idea, about pricings, but some offers for 2k really scared me). The relatively small size of the Edirol is a big plus for me).

Apart from the Syntonies, there does not seem to be much more alternatives in Eurorack format.

Also a big thanks for the TBC2 comment. It’s not a cheap module and I wouldn’t mind to avoid buying it.
I am going to give the rescanning a try (I wish I had a slightly larger PVM of 8" instead of 5").

Freedom enterprise and lofi future doing also affordable composite eurorack glitchers in europe / uk. But i dont know if they are also working in 0-1v lzx standard.

Tbc2 is not cheap and the unit you are looking for if you want to stabilize glitches (maybe this changes with future firmware updates), but if you want 2 inputs at the same time in your system its the way to go.

1 Like

For sure, you end up easily at this price while buying two de- and encoder separately
:laughing:

I have an eye on Chromagnon :heart_eyes: - there would be still space in the case :nerd_face:

Maybe the next misunderstanding: if you want to have 2 input sources, you need a player / scan converter with genlok, so you can genlok the unit to the sync of your system.

So tbc2 makes this much more easy. Just plug and play.

1 Like

I didn’t see mention of it yet in this thread, so I figured I’d mention the sync_ope: sync_ope – underscores

It’s designed to help keep sync stable when doing glitch processing. It replaces the sync in the glitch output with a copy of the sync from the original pre-glitch signal. It doesn’t fix all issues, but it seems to help a bunch. @cyberboy666 designed it, btw.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, seems like SyncOpe should still be considered rather of a work-in-progress as well. See this thread on Scanlines for updates:

3 Likes

Thanks! Looks awesome and would have been an instant buy for me.
Unfortunately all options are out of stock. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I know that some glitch devices can output significantly higher voltages than the 0.7v in a standard composite video signal.
Are TBC2 and Visual Cortex able to take these voltages without risking damage?

1 Like

I have not heard of any issues from people using glitch devices or circuit bent gear with TBC2 or Visual Cortex.

2 Likes

Ok - I removed the feedback loop and use go now from a camcorder–> CBV1–>CBV2–> Structure Video In → Structure Video Out → EDIROL V4 IN.

The signal I rock solid and stable. I never end up with a blue screen again and can do the entire mixdown on the V4 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I had done the same: hoping to use glitch stuff to ease the “dgitalness” of Structure. I still do for CRT capture when I can connect direct. But otherwise, I reverse the path. The Structure does a great job keeping the signal alive without blue screens.

1 Like