Color Chords schematic for diy?

Hi. Is there a schematic / pcb option for the Color Chords? Haven’t had any luck finding one to purchase outright and wondering about diy options. I really like the design.

It’s not available as a DIY option but it doesn’t look like a super complicated circuit. Looking at the PCB quickly, it’s just 6 quad op amps (ADA4851-4), 12 transistors and a bunch of resistors/caps set up in a particular order.

If you’re after a matrix mixer in general, Reverselandfill’s Matrix Mixer is a good option that’s readily available to DIY although it doesn’t do the priority based subtraction that Color Chords does.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at that Reverselandfill matrix mixer. I do really like the priority based subtraction though.

If I recall correctly, the intention was that some Color Chords functionality was going to be replicated in an upcoming Automata series instrument.

(Not that that helps you now, obviously.)

6 Likes

what is this “priority based subtraction” ?

2 Likes

the opacity controls

in the associate 3 patches video it shows how that works/looks

I haven’t messed too much with your matrix mixer yet (need to sort a good power supply for the second case the 4ms row power gives me some crackles) but I think it might be similar to how your invert input works except instead of an input over all three there are manual controls per layer

2 Likes

I remember Lars explaining how each layer is subtracted from each other in a particular order but I can’t seem to find that quote now. This graphic that was released awhile back might shed a little light, though:

3 Likes

you can see from the signal path diagram that it starts with
layer 1 (B) subtracts from layers 2 (G) ,3 ® ,4 (RGB)
layer 2 (G) subtracts from layers 3 ® ,4 (RGB)
layer 3 ® subtracts from layer 4 (RGB)
layer 4 is not subtracted from anything

so you can see that layer 1 sits on top of the mix if the opacity controls are all at 100%

it really makes shape layers pop from each other

2 Likes