Chromagnon Synthesis Concepts

The Chromagnon RGB inputs use the 1V LZX modular video standard. Some folks have used Extron gear (as illuminated in other threads) to send RGB signals directly. TBC2 has an optional VGA expander, but you would have to convert VGA to component if using only Chromagnon.

1 Like

Puzzled by the signal flow graph…Chromagnon’s TBC section is separate from its RGB in/out, right? So if I wanted to use it as both a synth/processor and an input/output encoder, I could?

For example: plug Chromagnon RGB outs into other video modules, process process process, send the signal into Chromagnon RGB ins, then capture out of Chromagnon’s YPbPr?

Could I plug an external source into Chromagnon RCA, take from RGB out, process it with other modules, send it back into the RGB in, process it with Chromagnon, then capture from the RCA out?

It is a synth/processor with a single input section and a single output section. It is not a combo TBC module + output encoder module with separate IOs. The YPbPr/CVBS inputs are just one of the ways to use the input section. If you patch into the RGB inputs, it will override anything going into the YPbPr/CVBS inputs.

If you are using Chromagnon as the base for a modular system, you would not use it like you would use a traditional Encoder + TBC in an LZX system. It’s a self contained voice, and any modules would expand the internal section (represented by the 9x analog controls/CV inputs, HV outs, etc. – that is, the part of the signal path between the video input and video output.)

Could I plug an external source into Chromagnon RCA, take from RGB out, process it with other modules, send it back into the RGB in, process it with Chromagnon, then capture from the RCA out?

If you did this, the external source would be overridden/detached when you patched back to the RGB inputs. You could patch the RGB outs through other modules and then feed them back into the CV inputs though, to create parameter feedback. You could patch the HV outs into other modules, create shapes, then use those as inputs to the CV modulation as well.

3 Likes

That makes way more sense. So the workflow of [Chromagnon > RGB processing > HD output] will not work without an additional Automata instrumen or a future output encoder.

So if I want to expand on Chromagnon without a second Chromagnon, CV modules are the main thing to add for now? The HV outs are basically like a Shapechanger/Navigator output and would require an output encoder. I’m very curious to see what this CV feedback would look like, though.

For a “self contained Chromagnon system” you don’t need additional encoders or TBCs (video IO), but any generator/processor modules (DSG3 Dual Shape, DWO3, Dual Osc, FKG3 Keyer, SMX3 Matrix Mixer) would be great expansion options.

1 Like

So there are RCA sync input and output jacks on the back?

On the front panel graphic, I see a lowercase “s” on the TBC RCA jacks … “Y/Gs”. I presume this is sync.

Can Chromagnon sync to the incoming component signal?

What is the RGB standard for the RCA inputs to the TBC? I assume it’s 1V p/p. Is RGsB sync on green supported?

Is it possible to use the composite RCA jack as a sync input? RGBS?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes.

Yes.

Study this diagram first:

Its front panel YPbPr inputs go directly to a TBC so not in the way you’re thinking. Even if you mult the Y from a YPbPr signal into Chromagnon’s rear sync input to genlock it from that and then also into the front panel YPbPr inputs, it’s still going through a frame buffer before being passed to the next stage. If your goal is to have Chromagnon genlocked to an external source and input a YPbPr signal into its 3.5mm RGB LZX 0-1V standard connections while bypassing the TBC, you would need a separate input decoder module. Basically, mult your Y from a YPbPr source into Chromagnon’s rear sync input and then decode your YPbPr into RGB LZX 0-1V standard with a HD YPbPr input module that doesn’t exist yet. There are SD versions available like Syntonie’s VU003 for now.

Not sure on first question but second one, yes that’s the meaning of “Y/Gs”. It’s still going to go through a frame buffer though if you input RGsB into its front panel connectors. A separate RGsB input decoder module that doesn’t currently exist would let you bypass the TBC and plug directly into Chromagnon’s RGB LZX 0-1V standard connections, provided you had multed the Gs through to Chromagnon’s rear sync input.

Dunno but that might be useful! It would only allow for SD timings, presumably.

2 Likes

Thank you @rempesm –

I understand that the RCA input will always go through the TBC, delaying the source by one frame regardless of whether or not Chromagnon is genlocked to the source.

I do want to bypass the TBC so I am trying to figure out my options. Getting a lag-free RGBS signal out of a computer and into Chromagnon may be challenging. A YsUV to RGBS converter would do the trick, but they are probably unobtainium. Extron used to make one, back in 2009.

https://www.extron.com/product/cvc300

Maybe I can use an HDMI to DVI-D cable and this Extron converter?

https://www.extron.com/product/dvirgb200

1 Like

BTW there are a couple of YUV → SCART converters available, but A) I think the voltages are not what Chromagnon expects, and B) I do not relish building a SCART breakout cable.

1 Like

Just plan to use the YPbPr TBC inputs for your external video source – you’re trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, when there’s already a square hole! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but getting a “lag free” signal out of a computer for quite literally anything for all intents and purposes is impossible by the sheer nature of how digital systems work. More importantly, it’s right in the territory of people sweating the purity of the copper in their audio interconnects. Not a single human on earth can hear the difference in copper purity, no matter what an audiophile magazine will tell you.
The true answer here is obvious. You’ll have to sign up for a computer to brain interface as soon as possible so you can negate the latency of your eyes processing the incoming photons :brain:

Lag matters if you’re syncing to sound or doing feedback, and comparing trying to iron out multiple frames worth of lag to copper purity purist audiophile madness makes little sense.

2 Likes

For those trying to sync up their patch to an audio source like a synth that uses pitch and gate CVs, one way to cut lag is to mult the pitch and gate CVs (filter cutoff CV very relevant too), and scale those voltages into whatever part of one’s patch that they care to modulate. This cuts out the “audio synth lag”, so that your video synth and audio synth are firing at the same time.

Btw, Really excited about the Chromagnon! I was looking at the front panel last night :drooling_face:. What did I Preorder!?! Can’t wait to run some feedback through it!

8 Likes

Did this video drop? I’ve been off and on in terms of searching. My apologies if the answer is blatant, I’m late to the party…

1 Like

The production schedule suggests “not yet”. Note that FKG3 was in there until very recently, but now its shipping. Also note the warning highlighted in yellow.

1 Like

…thats a new “yellow”, I’m ready for it. Keep up the good work folks. The synergy isn’t just locally generated - we got you

1 Like

I’ve been paying attention to LZX since the first generation, but I needed a size of 16: 9 instead of 4: 3 because the purpose is to capture it on Mac and make my music video.

So I gave up on it and 10 years have passed. And recently, I heard that LZX supports 1080p output, and I’m considering introducing Cromagnon.

Please let me ask some questions related to that.

These are very rudimentary contents, so these were likely answered in the forum already,But I couldn’t find it. I’m sorry if there are duplicates.

Q1:
Why does LZX not introduce modern resolutions such as 4K, 6K, 8k, but introduce legacy resolutions of 1080p?
Due to my lack of knowledge, I expected that Cromagnon would be equipped with an HDMI output port and could output resolutions up to 8K.
Is it a technical issue that LZX does not introduce today’s resolutions? Or is it a ideological issue?

Q2:
I was wondering if there are many 16: 9 size videos made by pre-HD system on LZX’s Youtube channel etc. Are those online videos capturing the 4:3 SD output from LZX on a computer etc. and then forcibly stretching it sideways?

Q3:
I’m interested in the Orion series, especially the fortress, in addition to Cromagnon, but will the Orion series continue to be produced in the future?
Also, I’ve seen vague information about whether the Orion series supports HD. Is it possible to input the video output from the Orion series to Cromagnon and then capture it on a Mac in HD?

Excuse me for the beginner’s question.

1 Like

Aspect ratio is a feature of the display device. Once you get the video into a computer, you can use whatever aspect ratio you like.

Some video players, like VLC, will let you override the ratio set in the file. The default settings on all the “smart” TV sets I’ve seen seems to be to use 16:9 regardless of the broadcast ratio. However, it may be possible to change this in a menu option.

Many videos created using LZX modules that I’ve seen use 4:3, but some of us prefer 16:9. I also like upscaling to HD and applying other post-production transformations. For example, I like cropping the image to get cleaner edges, then adding horizontal and vertical mirroring. As the starting point is SD video, I actually downscale to get HD. If I did this starting with HD video, then I’d get 4K without any scaling. Adding another level of mirroring would give 8K. However, I don’t yet have a 4K monitor, so I don’t bother. HD is good enough for me.

Everyone has their own post-production style. That’s why so many of us use a video editor or something similar.

As for LZX hardware resolution, I think that may be a technology issue. Eurorack PSUs in the past struggled to provide enough power for SD modules, nevermind HD. Gen3 solves this by supporting 12V dc supplies.

However, I think HD is the maximal possible resolution. That’s a limitation of component video. To go higher, you need to go digital.

2 Likes

ffmpeg -i pc.mp4 -s 1440x1080 pcO.mp4

ffmpeg -i pcO.mp4 -vf "scale=-1:1080:flags=lanczos,setsar=1,pad=1920:1080:(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2" pcU.mp4

I use these two ffmpeg commands to go from 640x480 > 1440x1080 then pad to 1920x1080

If the source absolutely has to stay in 4:3 this is the easiest way for me currently

in my system I use an extron 300a to go from component output to HDMI and it also upscales however I want. The video is also going through a v440 before that so it can be upscaled most ways there too.

you can do it with hardware like mixers or upscalers in real time or you can do it via software in post production

there are no LZX modules with a HDMI output

the closest is the DVI out on the memory palace

as far as 4k etc that would be a post processing thing for sure with the current system
using something like topaz AI I would imagine

displaying live video content in 16:9 is totally doable and has been since before this new 1080 era! we are just going to have a lot more clarity at our disposal now if that is the artistic goal.

3 Likes

16:9 and 4:3 are just ratios and not resolutions. I almost exclusively feed my LZX system 16:9 footage, process it in 4:3, but recapture in 16:9. You can look at some samples of said process here: a_digital_index on Vimeo

3 Likes