Chromagnon Synthesis Concepts

here is some info from lars on facebook

"Note that with Chroma (PbPr) to XY inputs, the shape generator is producing a chroma key.

Since the XY processor performs at video rate bandwidths, it can process the PbPr (Chroma) channels of the input video source as UV colorspace (which is a two dimensional plane.) For example, X & Y Position become PbPr offsets (hue selection). Rotation becomes Hue shift, and Gain becomes Saturation. So to process chroma we first convert RGB to PbPr, then feed those to the X & Y inputs. Then we take the X & Y outputs and convert them back to RGB (along with a luma component). This is complex in the block diagram, but easy on the synth – you just select “Chroma” as the “Vector Mode.”

So imagine this (UV at constant luminance) as the “2D plane” that is being processed/generated by the XY Processor, when we feed in Chroma as the vector source.

Yes, that is the key idea behind this instrument! General purpose XY processor (analogue computer style) with a lot of complex interfacing that allows its use as color processor, colorizer, shape/key generator, vector rescan driver, etc. I hope it gets people to think about how all of these applications are driven by similar math at their core. There is also a Polar-to-Cartesian processor in the XY Processor (the “modulation vector.”) This can take angle and distance inputs and give XY outputs. The Angle input can be used for a direct voltage to Hue function, which allows for a Luma-to-Hue map colorizer."

7 Likes

Starting to wonder why all the juicy info gets posted to Facebook? Thank you to the folks who are reposting it here, I’m sure I’m not the only one ethically opposed to having a Facebook account. :crazy_face: :vulcan_salute:t2: (I was on there a regrettable 9 years)

12 Likes

I think it’s because people are on it all the time anyway. It’s designed to be addictive, after all.

3 Likes

An addiction my life is so much better without now. Don’t want to preach or belittle anyone here, but the idea that Facebook is something we need in our lives is an illusion, and I’ve been super great without it for over two years. :rofl: :vulcan_salute:t2: The fact that LZX has this forum site is most supreme, considering the current era of some companies main presence only being on Facebook or Twitter. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you!

8 Likes

Totally understood, but used as a tool and not a portal to ego, facobook can be used as a forum for all the forms you are interested in. In my opinion of course. Personally i use it for many types of synthesis discussions and or informational groups, audio, video synthesis, drum machines. Sound design. Anything can be a tool or a distraction, it’s how it’s used. With all due respect. :pray:

3 Likes

A little update for those not on Facebook; Lars posted,
“RevB units were built and passed all tests so far. This is after a lengthy review of all the RevA boards over the Summer. Jonah, Nick and the assembly team have been kicking ass on that and just getting on top of production prep. I’m holed away still with my software project for tbc2/Chromagnon/mempal, and almost ready to show it off. This week I also need to dig in to the RevB review, during which I hope to start showing some video.”

10 Likes

2 Likes

Austin James just asked a couple of questions regarding the #Chromagnon’s 1080 output & it’s composite output on the FB page, I can’t copy the text so here’s a screenshot.

@LILWILLY, you beat me to the line :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i took the robbertunity

6 Likes

:rofl:

Note to self, posts must be 20 characters long :wink:

Some ILDA ideas from Lars:
“Radiator into Chromagnon adds an additional analog rotator/processor/recolorizer to the ILDA signal chain. So you could use it to add an additional rotary access with direct displacement via audio and CV.”

“…there are multiple YUV/RGB converters in there. It’s going to process whatever it’s fed as continuous 0-5V RGB and +/-5V XY voltages. There’s all sorts of neat tricks. For example you could use the chrominance of the RGB channels as a Cartesian displacement vector for the XY path.”

4 Likes

Hi I think I saw something about being able to scale the output to an oscilloscope when working with x-y graphics. Can you also invert the output or would I need to do that elsewhere? Im looking for an oscilloscope but some has a z axis that lowers the brightness with higher voltage.

1 Like

I believe the gain controls for X/Y/Luma do not invert, so you would have to invert the signal after Chromagnon.

Am I understanding correctly, that I would be able to connect a video source such as a VHS deck as an input to Chromagnon without a TBC in between, and it would time base correct it for a clean picture?

3 Likes

Chromagnon incorporates its own TBC at the input, allowing you to send in full color video from signals like a VCR.

8 Likes

How easy would it be to do the camera-at-a-screen feedback workflow on Chromagnon? The one the Vidiot is known for.

More specifically, would it be possible to have a chain like [external video in > Chromagnon processing > video to screen > camera > feedback into Chromagnon > capture solution out]?

It seems like it should, but I’m not 100% able to tell from the info that’s out there.

1 Like

If you’re planning to work with Chromagnon as a standalone unit, it would only sync to one external video input. Your second camera wouldn’t be synced to Chromagnon when you try to feed it back into the module. Probably would still look neat as a feedback source but you’d need to use something like the upcoming TBC2 or other means of genlocking your equipment to get additional synced inputs.

I’ve had pretty good success with using Extron VSC700 boxes as a cheaper alternative for full color synced inputs and have posted a few times on the forum about them.

EDIT: Oh wait, that’s not quite correct–I’ll eat some of my words here.

Since there is a RCA genlock input on the back and an external video input on the front that feeds into a frame synchronizer, you could feasibly loop your external video into the genlock input to get Chromagnon synchronized to that. Then put the other source into the external video input which will be frame synchronized.

You’d need to loop the external video going into the genlock input through the other RCA sync out connector and use some other type of video input module like Cadet III to condition the signal before patching it into Chromagnon. A RCA to 3.5MM adapter would work if you could strip the sync off the signal before patching it. Things might be a bit screwy otherwise.

3 Likes

If they’re asking about a set-up possible with Vidiot, I think they’re actually referring to a simple, single camera situation, no? So the signal flow would be:

Camera pointed at monitor > Chromagnon > Monitor + Capture

Processing possibilities are of course different than Vidiot, but that should work just fine.

And, indeed, since Chromagnon has multiple outputs — which I assume, like Visual Cortex, can be used at the same time — it will be easier to monitor and capture simultaneously (not that it is hard to make that happen with Vidiot but it does require something to distribute/pass the signal externally).

2 Likes

I should have clarified, I was thinking about combining that single camera workflow with an additional external video source. So a seed video goes in (such as gradient stills), gets processed, then goes back in as a feedback source as well.

1 Like