Chromagnon - will it have some mixing capabilities?

Seeing as the Chromagnon has a few different inputs, does it also have some sort of mixing capabilities? I’ve checked the signal flow chart, and there are a few units named 3:2 and 3:1 mux (multiplexers, right?) - do these have any mixing capabilities, or are they just switches?

I’d love to have composite mixer or similar in the rack at some point. I know a lot of you have the fancy Edirol V4, but I simply can’t fit it into the space I have, hehe. Maybe the TBC2 would be suited for this eventually?

3 Likes

“MIDI input and thru for switching and mixing functions.”
this line from the TBC2 product page has me excited about whatever mixing capabilities are being considered

I believe the chromagnon will composite itself with an incoming signal in some way depending on how it is set up in a 2:1 fashion

3 Likes

Chromagnon will have compositing features, but not mixing in the classic hardware video mixer sense. For that, TBC2 + Visual Cortex would be the best solution. It appears that Visual Cortex is still available from one US dealer. TBC2 is currently in production.

5 Likes

Ok, cool, thanks for the clarification. I’ve been eyeing the visual cortex. Hope someone still have it in stock when I eventually get some cash (spent it all on mempal and pre order of chromagnon). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you have Chromagnon and Memory Palace, you can use the faders in Bridge and Pendulum to mix between 1V LZX signals. Eventually there will be a replacement RGB mixer module.

4 Likes

Cool, thanks! I’ll just wait and see after I get the Chromagnon and see if I really need a mixer or not. Thing is, I’m curious about the Sleepy Circuits Hypno, but that only has HDMI or Composite out, and Structure also only has composite out, so I might have to take a rain check on what might be needed at that point, but I really appreciate the suggestions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but if you have the Memory Palace or some other source input will 2d shapes generated by the Chromagnon sit on top? Or do you need another module to mix/composite?

The compositing concepts are explained in this thread:

3 Likes

Given things like Fluxus Duo, Hypno, CBV001 and Chromagnon/Visual Cortex ALL have composite out… and tend to operate at the end of people’s chains…

I think there is definitely an opportunity for a DIY simple small 3/4 composite in/1 or 2 composite out mixer to bring these outputs together, with a fader or CV control like the visual cortex. Something like VU0001 in reverse, or Scanner but composite… Hmmm…

1 Like

4 Likes

Hahaha yeah this but 2hp please

5 Likes

If only! I don’t think you can fit 3-4 TBCs in 2HP.

5 Likes

Look how thick 2x TBC is.

9 Likes

Oh gosh I wasn’t imagining TBCs to sync fresh signals into a system, just switching between output signals on those modules that have composite out plugs, but for a situation where they are all sending signals with the same root source/sync. I can do it at the moment but just with a few little composite-3.5mm adaptors!

I guess this might not work for Hypno (I don’t have one, don’t know if it takes slave sync), but I at least only use those other modules as alternate post processing options of stuff that always started with the VC’s master sync. I’m probably still missing something though, as I don’t have your technical knowledge!

1 Like

Honestly I would really consider making the space for a V4. I can’t imagine not having one at the end of my chain. For usually less than $400 you get 4 TBC inputs, a bunch of simultaneous effects, full midi controls, main+preview monitoring and more in a format designed for live visuals… It would cost thousands to recreate most of that functionality with current and upcoming modules.

5 Likes

Just like in the audio Eurorack world, an external mixer is financially and functionally more practical than an in-the-rack solution - especially when it comes to integrating and expanding outside of Euro.
Size could be a compromise, but it’s also a performance interface to do try and make some space.

I think I’ve gleaned this idea from other Chromagnon threads, apologies for contributing to the scattering of information, but… if the Chromagnon has a TBC, and can sync to a Visual Cortex, could you have the VC as sync master with one external vdeo source then slave the Chromagnon to it, thus allowing a second external video source to be TBCd by the Chromagnon and its RGB outputs mixed in the VC?

4 Likes

I’d prefer to keep the discussion of Chromagnon functionality in one thread, so I replied to your question here: Chromagnon Synthesis Concepts

2 Likes