C5 Scaler BOMs Missing Resistors?

I’m building a Scaler at the moment (1v to +/- 5v) and I don’t see r4, 6, 18, or 20 on the BOM. I looked at the BOM for 1v to 5v as well (guessing it would a similar value here) and it’s also missing. Pic is the schematic for 1v to 5v. They’re necessary, yes? I’m planning to build both 1v to 5v and 1v to +/- 5v. Both 100k here?
22%20PM

1 Like

You’re correct! Those 100K to ground should be in the alternate BOMs. Without them, when a plug is inserted, there will be a momentary point where the non-inverting input to the op-amp will be floating, and that could produce an oscillation.

2 Likes

thanks – that makes sense. 100k for both of the boost versions, yes?

1 Like

Yes, R1 is a high impedance termination resistor. You’ll see 100K to ground termination on just about any EuroRack module (or should!! :smiley:). R1 provides some current limiting and isolation, since we’re not sure what might be on the other end of the line. This is the same function as the R2 output resistor. When a patch is made, these two resistors (R1 and R2) would be in series and add to each other.

When you mult signals in a system, the terminating resistors of the input nodes (R4, respectively) are put into parallel with each other, essentially dividing their values down. This is why when you mult several times, you see a small drop in signal amplitude.

I went on a ramble there, sorry!

3 Likes

no apology necessary – most of what I know about this stuff I’ve learned from you – i’m soaking it all up.

1 Like

Are there spots on the board for them?

Yes, they are on the board, it’s just an issue with the two variant BOMs (not the main one) missing a line item.

1 Like

I’m confused about this. I’m building the 1v - 5v and ± 5v - 1v variants, and I’d just noticed these four resistors (r4, 6, 18 and 20) missing from the BOM. I get that there’s a line missing and have cross-referenced with the main BOM - here they’re all listed as 1.43k, but this doesn’t quite tally with what I see here. Should they be 1.43k in these variants? or is r4 100k and the rest 1.43k? Or is only r4 important? Any help gratefully received!

1 Like

OK. Looking at the schematic for 1v - 5v, I think they should all be 100k, right? But I’m still not sure for the ±5v - 1v, as I can’t find a schematic for that one.

1 Like

There has been ongoing confusion about the Scalers, and only recently someone put in a big effort to clarify the options for us…
Check out the spreadsheet shared in this topic: Cadet Scaler BOM clarity - #18 by Z0NK0UT
I’m hugely thankful for their work! And don’t be surprised if the version you intended to build is opposite to what you expected :grimacing:

3 Likes