What does the sync connection do for the Escher Sketch?

What’s the sync connection do for the Escher Sketch? User card says “Escher Sketch uses video sync to synchronize its outputs to the refresh rate of your video synthesis system” but what’s that actually mean to users? Does that mean the output is time-quantized to the framerate (or maybe line rate)? And if so, why is that more desirable than an unquantized output (which I presume would be higher time resolution)? Does it matter more to the Orion modules (presumably since they’re digital) than to the Expedition ones?

seems like the sync is so that Escher knows where the corners of the screen are, and allows normal operation. sync pulses come at the start of every new line and new frame. So we need to know when a Frame starts (upper left corner) if we want the actions on the surface to correlate

Don’t think of it like a quantization. you’re not losing any resolution. purely locking the control surface to the raster.

3 Likes

That made sense to me for a brief second, but now I’m confused again… Isn’t the Escher Sketch just an X-Y plane? It doesn’t need to know anything about the corners of a video frame, I think, since it just outputs voltages corresponding to the position on the touch panel. That’s why it can work for non-video purposes too. For a moment, I thought that it would need to sync it’s output with the video, but again, if all it’s doing is outputting some DC voltages that are changing at LFO rates, why would syncing with video matter to the output? That’s why I started thinking time-quantization, so that perhaps the output voltages only change between frames? That’s my best guess, but I don’t know… I’m sure I’m missing something…

(BTW, this is all just for-fun speculation, as I’m not weighing a decision to buy it based on this or anything like that.)

1 Like

I m missing something too ! Nobody s able to explain why it has to be sync.
I see no difference with or without sync with mine. Maybe i did it not the right way. Doesnt knowing what the sync does i m totaly in the fog.

1 Like

Sync quantizes the DAC updates to the beginning of each frame (vsync), so that sudden changes do not appear as glitches in the middle of the image.

3 Likes