We've joined the community and some updates on Structure!

Always keep an eye on the official LZX production schedule. As of this post, more Vidiots are being produced in September and more VCs in October, though you might have a better chance of getting a VC since it denotes “order #xxx and higher” instead of a specific range like the Vidiot. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jCBEN4kzURMhLS4aWuQC0m1P6Q-0NtSaxpaG9SyV0w8/edit#gid=0

If you’re looking for a Vidiot in Europe, Schneidersladen have some in stock, but at 829 €. I got my Structure from them, but you got yours 100 € cheaper, so your supplier might be better. Where was that?

Hey,
I was wondering what was the best?
I d like to go from structure to lzx module to video projector?
Vidiot or vc?
Thanks for the advertisement, I ll take a look on schneidersladen

Going from Structure to Visual Cortex has the downside that Visual Cortex would only take the Composite signal from Structure as B&W. That was the main reason it took me a whole couple of weeks, before succumbing to the idea of getting a Structure. The original idea was to include also Component OUT, so it could integrate better with LZX systems, but, as explained above, that was likely not necessary for most users, and it would have added to the price of Structure. So, if you want full colour from Structure into Visual Cortex, you’ll need a TBC2 (not yet released), or use some video converters… The guys at Erogenous Tones are testing some options. With that in mind, I think the Visual Cortex is better if you plan on eventually expanding your system with more LZX modules. Also, it’s very cool using Visual Cortex to colourise the output from Structure, so not necessarily a huge downside.

I can’t really comment on the Vidiot, since I don’t have one. Not sure if it can take full colour from a Composite signal, but I doubt it. In that sense, it’s probably similar to VC. Apart from that, it is probably the most complete/compact solution for the price. And it also plays well with LZX modules. I think it’s really difficult to argue against Vidiot, even if I’m still quite partial to Visual Cortex.

Any particular reason you don’t want or simply not considering to go from LZX to Structure to projector?

Yes, thank you for all of that!
I wanted to use structure as a generator and modifie the signal in the lzx component and then send it to a video projector.
If I used the lzx modules and send it into the structure I would lost a part of all the structure generativ stuff, wouldn’t I?

With just a Visual Cortex, you wouldn’t be able to modify the output from Structure a lot, apart from colourising it and applying some effects (negative, solarisation…), some of which Structure already includes. Visual Cortex really allows you to do more, the more other modules you have. Depending of what exactly do you have in mind, how you want to modify that “generative stuff” from Structure, then you need to look for the modules that would allow you to do that. Visual Cortex then would act as the interface between Structure and those modules, and give you the output to the projector.

I don’t want to put you off from going that way, but… Why not just modifying the generative stuff within Structure? I assume by “generative stuff” you mean the GLSL visuals or from the audio/xy visualisers. Structure certainly has lots of possibilities/effects to modify whatever its source. And it can do more to a simple shape from Visual Cortex, than Visual Cortex on its own can do to the output from Structure.

Of course, having a Structure, plus Visual Cortex and/or Vidiot, plus some other LZX modules, is great. The more, the better. If you have the money, go for it. But if the budget is tight, take it slowly. On its own, Structure is a huge module, that can keep you busy for a while. Vidiot should also be fun to have, but others could advise you better, how much you could modify the output of Structure with it.

Hello,
You got me!
I ll try structure alone for a while, it should be enough for starting.
Then I ll be looking for a Vc to enlarge my set up :slight_smile:
Yes that was the point, il wanted to use the Cv between those modules and the structure
But as you sais… Lot of cash
Thanks for all the answer!

1 Like

both Vidiot and VC will work
I’ve had and used both with the structure
I’m not sure what is best for you or what kind of output you are after
Visual cortex would be my answer as far as expandability towards the future

modifying B&W images is a cornerstone of video synthesis
if we can’t understand how to do that then doing it with Three B&W images is going to be much more difficult…

so the last several things I’ve been posting utilizes a setup that is being talked about

mempal > structure > visual cortex
the secondary path is coming from the Luma out on VC (result of structure) into a
function gen > passage > mapper block
the output of which 1) goes to a VC channel and 2) goes back into the mempal input

this bit of wisdom form the FB ground was helpful in terms of color workflows and if you are wanting to work in full color it should be understood!

now it would be super easy to get full color images from structure into VC without the TBC2
just get the little ambery box everyone recommends it works very well
(although I do like going into it from the Svideo output from something rather than composite but you take what you can get). I think it is only ~$80 there are other brands but this is the one I’ve tried and seen recommended it works flawlessly for me. Now this will obviously not give you the benefits of the TBC2 (two inputs, 2 sets of LZX 1v 1/8 outputs, apparently the ability to load and use stills like on mempal!) but will get full color structure into the VC.

it really depend on what you are trying to do
I’ve got one of those ambery boxes and I’m having a blast making use of this small setup without it currently

don’t forget there are plenty of shaders that deal with B&W just fine…some are even made for it

I haven’t tried them in a while but there are also the RCA to 1/8 cables that you see come with consumer cameras sometimes. I have some I’ll grab from the studio to see what happens when I take one of the structure outputs and put it into something like staircase. Without something like VC you wouldn’t be able to then see the results unless you set structure to VID and and the staircase outputs back into the structure LZX 1v inputs…

structure deals with feedback very well

1 Like

That “little ambery box” looks interesting… I wish it was available in the EU. Importing it from the States seems to double its final price. Still, I might get one. It’s nice to know that it really works with Structure and VC. I can’t understand why there aren’t more things like this in Europe.

As for colourising B&W video signals, I’m also a big fan, love the results. I was only pointing out above that simply going from Structure into Visual Cortex one doesn’t get the colours from Structure.

1 Like

absolutely! it is a good thing to know
as plugging in a composite signal on the structure will give you color input but on the VC it won’t

another interesting thing to try if you don’t have the ambery box but do have more composite outputs

is to plug in different inputs as if there were a complete component signal into the VC

my experiment was using the mempal and structure going out into the VC as well as 1 channel of VC feedback
so my component input (on the VC) was full but it consisted of three separate composite signals
it adds them together on the LUMA output which can be cool
also if you try to then use the color outputs on VC it gives a weird texture

there are so many funny little gotcha moments in video synthesis :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hellooo everybody,
Stupid question but are there any powered up buttons?
Because I plug de 12v power in and it doesn’t start… I tried with a 9v and an other power supply
It doesn’t work
Thanks

@Nilson, No - you need Eurorack power. 12v DC is to offload some of the power draw from USB in racks that are close to maximum power usage.

So euro rack is something I need to order?
With the 12v power supply and the structure I can’t do anything?

Yes, ET were powering structures standalone w these at knobcon: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/4ms-pod40x-powered.html , or if you’d like to expand w other euro modules, the 48x, or any other 84 or 104hp case will do just fine.

Owww okay
I thought the powered at the back of the structure would work without anything else.
With the eurorack you just send me before it should be ok?

Cause I just ordered the recommanded power supply by erogenous stone themselves
And they don’t talk at any moment about an eurorack.
But I m a nooby in modular video

yea, nah it’s just there to offload power consumption because it draws about 400ma, which conjunction w a full case of high powered digital video modules, could be too much for one power supply to take. but yes, EG were housing their structures in individual pods mentioned above during Knobcon this last weekend without a single hiccup. I would suggest the 48x version to give you a little more room for additional modules, like mults or lfos. https://www.perfectcircuit.com/4ms-pod48x-powered.html

Okay Thanks a lot!
I’m about to order the one you advise me.

Last one, what power brick would you take?
I’m so confused…