Visual Cortex pre-encoder expander

I’m happy to announce that the cortex expander is finally ready for production. I’ll post a vid later this week and all the details to order. Sorry for the big delays on this, but there were lots of things happening in my life lately but I’m back.

The plan is more less the following:

this week: I’ll send to fab the final pcb to China.
22-29/09 I’ll announce final cost and estimated shipping, a google form will be available to specify what you want. On 29 I’ll close the form and order components to the part supplier.
29/09 to 06/10 a friend and I’ll be soldering and building the prebuilt orders.

shipping is expected as soon each module is finished and tested, so first come first serve.

I’ll ship PCB+Panel only kits as soon the prebuilt modules shipping starts. I’m expecting this module to be very cheap hopefully. Anyway here is a link to a page we with some audio eurorack modules we have designed on the last years for local workshops in Madrid.

http://www.diy.t-37.net/

11 Likes

Hell yes. Thanks!!!

oh this is awesome
so if we do get a prebuilt unit this will still require us to solder onto the visual cortex itself right?

Is that 4hp or 6hp? I’m in the middle of rearranging my cases, so I’ll leave some room for it.

The RGB pads on the Visual Cortex don’t have a header in place for a connector, so a tiny bit of soldering will be necessary.

4hp, like a cadet/castle

2 Likes

Yeah I does, there is no other way as the VC does not come with pins on those pads as stated before. I’ll show later on before anyone places an order what you will need to do, just to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Its actually pretty easy, but you will need a good soldering iron, since the PCB of the VC has a superb thermal design and its difficult to heat everything.

2 Likes

I’ve done very very minimal soldering like point to point to make passive boxes (switches, photoresistors, pots etc…)
but after looking at the back of the visual cortex I think it is something I could handle
I am very much looking forward to this being available

if you can solder a wire to a pot then you can do this!!!

it’s as simple as sticking the header in the holes and then applying heat and solder - watch a youtube video first on the basics of pcb soldering and you’ll be good to go!!

I think the hardest part will be removing the panel and reattaching it!

3 Likes

It will be included, also all the cables and everything needed except the soldering iron and some solder and patience :slight_smile:

6 Likes

that is so rad! this is going to make for some very fun video synthing

I’d like to get in on this for a board and panel.

I already soldered pins on to my corrtex and made an output expander to send RGB to the MemPal, but it’s not buffered at all, and your better solution is appealing.

Save two for me if I don’t respond immediately, it’s a busy time :slight_smile:

It works exactly like that.

The luma is unaffected by the RGB knobs and goes out directly.

The RGB goes to a bit higher than 1v when the knobs are fully clockwise, and -1v when it goes counterclockwise.

On the middle (12’ clock) the gain is 0 and the channel will not pass thru. Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

UPDATE! The pcbs are been fabbed now in china :slight_smile:

Tomorrow I’ll record a vid on the module and publish the costs and form to reserve a module. I’m planning on doing a 30 built run, and 30 pcb set, with some spares :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Here is a vid I recorded to try to clear what I think is important.

TBH the only thing I dont like about this module is that potentiometers are too tight (close) so I sacrified some ergonomics in favor of having luma outs plus as-much-as-possible skiff friendly module.

8 Likes

It looks awesome! Ready to order :money_with_wings:

Nice video and great work @luix!

2 Likes

@luix How do I order one diy panel and pcb. Thanks :alien: :mushroom:
Please DM me for payment

IDGI why it needs 5x lm6172 ? Don’t they 2 channel on each chip