LZX Gen3 Modular Releases 2021-2022

For DWO3? I think a quadrature core VCO is something we’ve decided to save for a different module, likely one that involves multipliers and thru-zero FM. DWO3’s primary identity settled as a wide range triangle/saw/sine/square generator, and the compact 6HP per oscillator footprint.

4 Likes

Ah, gotcha. I went pretty far back in the thread looking for info on DWO3, and was reading about the quadrature concept. I have one DWO3 ordered and am debating whether or not to go for another, or to find another VCO solution. TZFM and multipliers sound pretty tasty!

4 Likes

Combining SMX3 and FKG3 with some Expedition series modules like Marble Index/Color Chords/Mapper combos is pretty sweet!!! Curious how “Color Wheel” will play out against Mapper.

2 Likes

from what was shown of color wheel we will be able to hue rotate an entire RGB input vs just a single hue input for mapper
that will be wild!
honestly it would still be nice to have a mapper though…
just imagine taking a TBC2 output
RGB into color wheel and Y into mapper
and then controlling both modules in different ways and recombining
or honestly even using a Baja or other quadrature oscillator then putting both color wheel and mapper into FKG for color keying them against each other.

7 Likes

@wednesdayayay Used Mapper are selling at reasonable prices on Reverb. I confirmed it works with HD timings with my ESG3, and looks awesome in HD. :blush: :+1:

3 Likes

There’s no reason that any LZX compatible video module released to date, apart from those with sync connections, will not work with HD timings.

If it doesn’t have a sync connection, it will just work in any available sync format. There’s no real caveats or gotchas to it.

Would it help everyone if there was a chart?

3 Likes

This post covers HD compatibilities well, but a spreadsheet / chart would be great for quick reference :joy: Any volunteers in the community that love making infographics?

2 Likes

without bandwidth tests, saying something works in HD is unhelpful. so it passes a signal. its akin to saying an audio module works for video synthesis. yes it passes a signal, but does it look like a blurry potato taken on a nokia 7650?
i pray for the day when bandwidth measurements are included in specs, or at least third party evaluations.

6 Likes

Totally appreciate that point and agree that specific bandwidth measurements published per module would more concretely answer this question.

The intent with my phrasing is to hopefully avoid concerns from users that their LZX Visionary/Expedition, BSO, Reverselandfill, Syntonie, OmiiIndustries, VisibleSignals, FoxingHour, etc. modules without sync connections will just flat out not work at all with the new Gen3 series and potentially lead to them selling modules in advance that will still offer value in their system.

Most modules will probably look just fine but I’d wager at least some modules will exhibit a degree of slight softening with external HD footage. Nowhere near how a typical audio module would unrecognizably smear the hell out of an image but still technically present.

I look forward to more concrete numbers that can empirically show the true bandwidth limits of each module. I just don’t have the right test equipment or knowledge to comprehensively clarify that question.

For now, I’d suggest actually trying modules in HD signal paths before getting rid of them and see if it’s acceptable to your own tastes.

5 Likes

as long as no sync they will work with hd timings, for sure.
i want to process video at the crispiest quality possible so im on the hunt for this info

5 Likes

a bandwidth info would be really handy!

my personal thought:
for now its fine to use older modules without having direct comparison to a gen3 equivalent (for example staircase - stairs /or/ passage - proc), because the step to hd is already a huge quality gain.

3 Likes

Mapper with DSG3 is awesome!!!

12 Likes

^Pretty Sweet!!! What’s some of the patch breakdowns?

1 Like

Watching the new Keychain - Triple Hard Key Generator video on Youtube and can see there is some kind of break in the key it creates. At the start of the video when keying the diamond shape you can see the corners cut flat before the point. What is causing this. Is it just the settings that are being used?

Screenshot to give example.

1 Like

I noticed that too. I’m wondering if that’s just a calibration issue or if we might all see that. Hard keying tends to reveal things like this.

1 Like

Lars says:

That’s just a part of the analog signal path when going thru that many wave folders and buffers. The ramp sources before going into that signal chain are perfectly linear. The little imperfections are part of what makes it analog (the signal is always moving left - to - right.)

2 Likes

I have never seen those imperfections when using ramps into doorway or the VC keyer before. Is this something i am just not seeing using expedition modules due to not patching in certain ways or using many wavefolders? I have ran stuff through staircase and keyed but had never noticed these type of imperfections.

1 Like

Wait for tbc2 and use digital ramps via medialoader :person_fencing:

2 Likes

TBC2 is a much more expensive module, but much more powerful. You just need to be a little more flexible.

For example, I’m already using digital ramps by generating them with FFmpeg and feeding them to my VC. As a bonus, I can animate the ramps. I can also get 3 very different ramps. All I need to do this in HD will be a TBC2. If I had a second video player, I could expand this to 6 ramps, but the medialoader can do that for me.

Of course this is cheating! How is that a problem? :wink:

Gen3 ftw!

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about making some digital image samples for the TBC2 where you had a simple
R Horizontal ramp
G Vertical ramp
B Triangle or circle

that way you could load up different “ramp packs” to use via TBC2
if you need a H ramp just patch the R output etc…

this kind of thinking about patching opens up lots of possibilities

you could do the same thing with a video with 3 black and white channels added together that aren’t meant to be combined directly but used as separate sources throughout the patch.
R static H ramp
G a modulating shape
B camera feed of some trees.

TBC2 is going to be so nice.

5 Likes