Is anyone here still interested in 1st and 2nd gen LZX modules?

Please get in touch with your favorite UK shop and encourage them to place orders. If UK shops are not sensing demand, they won’t place orders for the new modules.

2 Likes

I inquired a while ago.

2 Likes

i busted my arse putting together a full Expedition collection. no chance i’m parting with it now, though i may slim down some doubles here and there to upgrade to Gen 3 stuff as it’s released. i also kept one full set of the Cadets that i built when i started my LZX journey. love the modules, can’t imagine selling them off now that i’ve finally begun to learn how they work :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

also my Prismatic Ray array is firmly in the perma-collection, barring the release of a Prismatic Ray V2 with all the goodies from the first version (hi-gain waveshaper, built-in multiplier and offset/mix input) OR a ramp instrument with all of those features built-in. when i first got a Ray i thought it was cool but after playing with a few of them for a while now i can’t imagine video patching without them!

can’t speak much to Gen 1 stuff cuz i missed it all. always been curious about a handful of them tho, including Video Divisions, the original TVFKG and VBM and that video sequencer thing that i don’t remember the name of.

4 Likes

the only G1 & G2 modules i have are VC, bridge, and the castle osc. dont imagine ill be getting rid of any of them, but i dont imagine ill be :arrow_up:grading to HD unless i pick the right lottery numbers.

definitely need more video vcos with more waveforms, more vcas & prob more mixers. i play a triatt in my video rack and it gets way more saturated than my bridge or qvam; hopefully we’ll have a proper video overdrive sometime after the new filter?

the video case is a 6U rackbrute and will probably end up expanded with another some day, i dont want to go to 12U but it feels necessary to have enough modules to process full color signals, im glad the G3 stuff is small enough that 12U looks sufficient from where i sit

1 Like

How’s the RackBrute PSU working for you? Is it clean enough for video? It looks barely deep enough for Gen2 modules, but I’ve used shallow skiffs for video (75mm and 50mm depth). I had to move to a 12U rack to house a pair of Malekko PSUs, to give me cleaner power. So I’m curious about your RackBrute experience.

the setup aint taxing the power supply, and ive had no problems with it. of course, most of my stuff is silly ptterns on a CRT so idk how good itd work for a G3 HD rig.
its a ridiculously deep case for something so small, one of the benefits of sheet metal. i think modular grid lists the power supply module as 78mm or so, which is about 3" and that seems like about the deepest thing id want in there
if i needed to use backpanel sync over RCA i might look for some slim profile cables but the castle vco is happy with plenty clearance

back to power, i think a couple of the new utility modules or the dual osc would be about as much video stuff as id want to add, but thatd fill the case so nbd. its a moderate supply for video use but the math worked for me and it could def work for some folks

Shameless plug: If you’re looking for 1st gen-compatible oscillators, I have 4 Cadet VCOs for sale. Add a Syntonie dual waveshaper (also for sale) and you have a pretty wide shape palette!

2 Likes

Rackbrute does the job, everything fits and there is enough power for a humble system - I suspect there’s some noise, mainly noticeable on Hard Key and Fortress signals.
Looking to upgrade with a big DIY case and linear PSU, though this is ample for now.

I’m still interested in Expedition and DIY, working on a row of Visible Signals right now with Castles to be built soon enough. Will be opportunistic and hope to pick up second hand LZX (tough task in Australia) as people upgrade to Gen3…

3 Likes

The Gen3 modules can be powered with a common 12v AC adapter with a barrel plug so power really wont an issue anymore. You can buy the official Distro from LZX or a similar solutions for less on Amazon.

2 Likes

DC 12V center positive is key here. You’ll likely fry the Gen3 modules with an AC 12V PSU.

3 Likes

This is correct. Since AC wall warts are very rare and uncommon these days, hopefully DC is what they meant.

We need to do some “crash test dummy” testing at some point, to find all the ways to destroy a gen3 power board. The ICs used claim lots of safety features, so I’d hope that shutdown features kick in before anything is damaged. The good news is that if something does blow it, just that rear power assembly needs to be replaced and not the whole module (and that’s the worst case scenario.)

6 Likes

What are the similar solutions for less on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Buying-100V-240V-Certified-Transformers-Fits/dp/B076HKCRNG

2 Likes

To widen the search, just look into 12V power options for Broadcast gear, CCTV gear, and LED lighting in general. The use of 2.1mm barrel connectors and 12V supplies is commonplace, and there will be many options for anything from single wall-warts to rack mounted, multi-output CCTV supplies.

For example, same kind of thing from a CCTV supplier (a little pricier than Amazon, but quality may vary.)

4 Likes

Very helpful, thank you.