Is anyone here still interested in 1st and 2nd gen LZX modules?

That’s correct, nothing exactly like WotA is planned, and further down that road I have in mind the texture instrument – but there will certainly be at least one 12HP analog noise and texture module in the Gen3 list somewhere. We’ve suggested it being a “mode” for the planned dual VCF module – that is, white noise generator summed into the filter inputs as a source option. That could dovetail nicely into something resembling the War of the Ants signal flow (noise into separate filters.)

5 Likes

Yes, I remember reading about that automata instrument as well. Forgot about that. My words on a “new WOTA” were based on the assumption that out of however many Gen3 modules there are on the drawing board, at least one would be noise based, have H and V processing, function in HD and occupy 12hp. Gotta say that the detail on FKG3 is noticeably sharper. I’m excited to work with the Gen3 range.

That sounds way rad! (Going to have to run my SNOW through a Curtain :pray:)

1 Like

Hi @nerdaware - there are always people who will build diy modules for you - you just need to ask around a bit!

(I’ll be building one in the next few weeks, hopefully - waiting on a couple of parts! and I’m uk based)

3 Likes

and I’m sure if you ask the original designers, they also can build you a module

3 Likes

also true - but then there is the shit show that is brexit to contend with…

2 Likes

Yes, it would need to be someone in the UK. That narrows the list of potential builders.

1 Like

The Component and NTSC/PAL outputs will be active at the same time. We could have doubled up the NTSC/PAL output – but given that it’s only active in non-HD modes, it seemed better to consider video distribution amps as a different module or external box.

3 Likes

@creatorlars, could the composite out on the ESG3 be used to send out a sync signal when the unit is operating in HD?

No, that is the SD encoder output. The Sync Out signal you should use is on the rear of the module.

ESG3’s outputs include
(1) One SD Composite Encoder output (NTSC/PAL modes only)
(2) One HD/SD Component Encoder output (Enabled in all modes)
(3) One HD/SD Sync output (Enabled in all modes)

There’s definitely a case to make for an ESG3B variant that swaps all the RGB proc amp / colorizer circuitry for direct inputs and frontpanel mounted sync / video distribution amps. Most of the circuitry is on the middle PCB and it is intended to be shared across future variants like this. I just don’t feel like a module like that would be a great variation to start with – it’s better to start if the number of video distribution amps can be scaled by the user (like with an affordable distribution amp module.) Favoring procamp/colorizer controls allows the core ESG3 to be both the main RGB knobs and the output jacks all in one – which I feel like is important if the goal is to make a compact modular video synthesizer.

6 Likes

Maybe for rev B ESG3, one of the unused dip-switches could be appropriated to enable a front panel sync option for the composite out. I’m using composite outs exclusively and would would love to be able to use that output for sync, even in NTSC.

Maybe for rev B ESG3, one of the unused dip-switches could be appropriated to enable a front panel sync option for the composite out.

The SD encoder won’t output HD sync or signals. It will output SD sync/video when in NTSC/PAL modes.

I’m using composite outs exclusively and would would love to be able to use that output for sync, even in NTSC.

Then you’re in luck, you do get a frontpanel sync out – if you’re using Composite signals only (NTSC/PAL), you could use the Component/Y output as Sync and the Composite output for video.

4 Likes

I have a fairly large system consisting of modules from all the generations. I plan to keep almost everything, though I will pare down on some redundancies (I probably won’t keep 4 Arches when I get Dual Shape, and Chromag will replace a Cortex, etc,) TBH I passed along the Visionary and Expedition modules that didn’t fit my workflow a while back…

There are modules I will likely never part with. while some of the features can be duplicated with new releases, they won’t be in the same package (you can do PWM with prismatic ray and an external multiplier - but it’s built in to a VWG), or with the same workflow. After years of patching I know them well enough that their use is intuitive.

I’ve spoken to other LZX users who feel the same way (like all dinosaurs :slight_smile: )

The trick for me becomes what new modules/instruments will integrate into and augment the current workflow - and how easily, given sync and power requirements. I’ve only had FKG3 up since last night, but I quite like it after a few quick patches.

Since I do not care about HD workflows (that’s handled external to the modular), encoders and decoders are pretty much outside the scope of the statements above - except for Cortex, as I use its compositing and colorizing functionality in almost every patch.

7 Likes

Same Same Same! I’m keeping the G1&2 that speak to me which is a lot. I don’t feel the need to unload any older modules because there is a G3 permutation.

1 Like

You can pry my LZX modules out of my cold dead hands.

I did sell color chords because I’m a VC mixer kinda person but that’s the extent of my parting for the next few decades (unless I need a kidney). Oh and a 2nd cortex, alike Bill Chromag/TBC2 coming made it redundant in my work flow.

Just gonna keep adding here & there. Looking forward to some of the Gen 3 releases, really like the approach.

I’d like to see a big ol voltage controllable video routing matrix. I manage with TVFKG’s, Fox Switches, Marble Index, and Cortex- but it sure would be nice to pile a bunch of video spaghetti in & out and basically just have a nonstop evolving/rotating signal path. Big fan of doing this with modulators/NLC, would love to have a 1 stop module for all the video signal rotations too

4 Likes

If you can think in terms of 2:1 flows (like streams joining into rivers) a few FKG3 goes deep very quickly in terms of big voltage controlled mixing patches. But it’s not exactly the same as a single matrix like you’re talking about. I’d like a bigger 4:2 or 8:2 sequencer/switcher with integrated clock/pattern stuff at some point.

7 Likes

@rempesm. Good for them,but there was only a very limited amount of them being sold and it’s the smx3 i’m after,not the fkg3 (don’t get me started about the verbs modules,solarium and spritechild) I’ll be getting interested in gen3 modules when they’re available in sufficient quantity,until then i’ll consider them vaporware.

1 Like

I have a similar attitude. Until I can buy a module from a UK shop, it might as well be vapourware. DIY modules are not included as I can’t buy them assembled, so no Cadet, Castle etc.

Unlike the DIY modules, I expect the gen3 modules to eventually appear in a UK shop, but probably not this year. So I would buy a gen3 module like FKG if one were available in the UK, even if I would prefer to see Chromagnon and TBC2 arrive first.

This is simply because many of us have been waiting longer for these modules than gen3.

2 Likes

We have units in stock and all orders have been shipped, on FKG3 right now, and still building more. We’ll be stocking the Gen3 modules continuously. Your perspective of waiting for a bit more permanence before diving in is a perfectly valid concern. That’s what we’re aiming for as well.

A more reliable supply chain / production flow has been a huge part of why we’ve been redesigning everything in the first place. It is a problem that has not been solved fast, but we are finally starting to see the benefits now, of our new approach.

I know we’re far behind on some big projects right now, and have been behind on others in the past, but please remember those are sitting ahead of at least 50 different product designs successfully shipped over the past decade. We’ve always shipped exactly what we offered – it’s just taking a whole lot longer than anticipated this time.

From our last roadmap, the Verbs+Foundations modules concepts morphed into Gen3 as a single series. The series doesn’t have an official name yet, so it’s just been adopted as “Gen3.” Those modules are being released now. Spritechild is just a code name for the project that will follow Fortress/Diver. Solarium is just a code name for the project that will follow Chromagnon. These all just came from a roadmap of 2021-2022 concepts. The roadmap isn’t a list of official releases – it’s a list of ideas we’re pursuing, so that we can communicate the directions we’re going in.

13 Likes

UK based Electronic Engineer here with plenty of DIY modules under my belt, happy to help!

4 Likes