Cadet & Castle module builders list and build requests

The gen3 series includes a new core sync + single TBC core module, as well as separate YPbPr and CVBS encoder modules. Essentially we’re portioning out Chromagnon into discrete function blocks. So these will all be multi-format sync (HD/SD) compatible as well (saving the CVBS encoder of course.) It’s a return to basic lab blocks like Visionary series, with the more integrated workflows moving to dedicated instruments. So they’re all low HP, what-you-see-is-what-you-get, compact functions.

6 Likes

Fair point… I can see where you’re coming from. I was interpreting “build” as being just the physical activity (i.e. come here to find someone to solder together a Cadet/Castle board you bought from LZX) rather than the process of designing of a new circuit and doing a new board layout.

I think you’d definitely get interest in talking about future module designs in a new thread, and it might keep this one more tighter-focused to how it was originally used. But I’m not an admin so it’s not my place to enforce, only suggest!

Sorry for not explaining my thinking better in my previous post.

1 Like

ok, so I’m changing my request to something a little more conventional…

I’m seeking a build of a Cadet I, the Syntonie YUV-to-RGB module, a Cadet IV, and two Cadet IIs, all on one panel. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1287594
In other words, instead of five 4HP panels, I’d like them all to be on one 20HP panel. Lasercut wood is ideal.

If the YUV-to-RGB requires the Cadet III, then my build request is for a 20HP wood panel without the Cadet Ramps. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1287596

anyone up for this? thanks!

1 Like

I like your thinking - that would be a nifty base kit for external video processing/colourisation! Since you have the VU003, you don’t need the Cadet III.

But you do want to make sure that the YUV video source is in sync (“genlocked”) with the input signal you use to clock the Cadet I sync generator/extractor. Otherwise the YUV source image won’t line up correctly with the output from the Cadet II encoders. I think you should be able to use the Y channel from the YUV video (which includes the necessary sync pulses) as the input to the Cadet I to achieve this. The Cadet I has a video out that is a copy of the video in, so I think this should work (sorry it’s a terrible picture but hopefully you get the idea):

2 Likes

thanks, @VisibleSignals

is there any reason not to leave the extra jacks off the combo panel? In other words, why not just have the Y jack feed the sync gen genlock and the transcoder circuits?

also… what’s with all those NTSC/PAL switches? why not just stick a single NTSC / PAL switch on the back of the module?

personally, I maybe switch my synths between PAL and NTSC once a decade…

1 Like

If you connect the same socket to both the Cadet I and the VU003 inputs then they won’t get the full signal each, so it’s best not to do that. But you could definitely hard-wire the video out on the Cadet I (which is a buffered copy of the video in) into the Y input of the VU003, and that would be just fine and avoid having to use that extra RCA-to-RCA cable every time.

The switches are there for when you need them :slight_smile: You could leave them off if you want - maybe replace them with jumpers, especially if you get a custom panel made up.

2 Likes

@VisibleSignals, is there a use case for running the Sync Gen in NTSC and the Encoders in PAL? why not just one sync switch for the whole combo module?

That won’t work (or at least I can’t think that it would do anything that would be even remotely useful). They both need to be set the same.

2 Likes

What is the function of the NTSC/PAL switches on the encoder modules? Don’t they take whatever sync is coming from the Cadet I via the ribbon cable?

The switch toggles between two crystals for the colour burst timings of ntsc/pal.

3 Likes

thanks @pbalj. ok, so for a combined panel I’ll just have one switch throw all the syncs at once.

I’d say: a header on the back to switch between PAL and NTSC.
you are not going change the setting this often. (I guess)
saves space on the panel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I might be up for building this. I have to think about it a bit.
Currently I’m building the Syntonie YUV-to-RGB module. When it is done I can test your preferred setup.

2 Likes

Fantastic, Martijn!
I’m open to revisions if needed/optimal.

My primary goal is to have an all-in-one sync/encoder module on a single plain metal or wood panel. My secondary goal is to have multiple encoder outputs. My tertiary goal is to include the YUV decoder.

My final wish is to minimize redundancy on the switches and jacks as much as possible.

I’d want at least two made.

Thanks, Benton

2 Likes

By the way, I’ve got a VU003 now and the wiring diagram that I posted above works the way it should. It’s great having a full colour input into a DIY video modular system!

3 Likes

Anyone build the Cadet VCO or Cadet Sync Gen?

I got cadet 1 id sell you

is it a Cadet VCO or Cadet sync gen?

Cadet 1 is the Sync Generator. C9 is the VCO.

Its cadet 1 which is the sync generator. Ive got Cadets 1-4 which im selling atm