Cadet/Castle components sources and substitutions

Given I’m in Australia there’s not really any point in me sharing a group buy with you guys so I’ve just done my own order.

I’m in Sydney and plan to build a few Cadets & Castles over the next few months… might have to reach out to you to buy a few of those (if you don’t use them all yourself) :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Let us know how the visuals look when using those 6v/us opamps or post a link to some video, I’m curious.

1 Like

Thanks @sean :+1:t3:
Anyone in Europe up for splitting an order? I’m in Berlin & would take about 50.

Just to close the loop on this, Rik & I are now in touch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Feeling amp’ed :wink:

4 Likes

Can I replace the 1623934-1 0 ohm ceramic resister in Cadet I Sync Gen with this ZOR-25-T-52-0R 0 ohm metal film resister? Or also can I just use an extra leg off another component since its 0 ohm anyway? The 1623934-1 is only available in 4000s on Mouser and i don’t want to pay extra shipping to get it from Digi-key or something as I’m not ordering anything else from there.

I just used a cutoff resistor lead for all the Cadet I builds I’ve done. Works fine.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I thought!

These days I prefer to buy a few of these and cut off a section whenever 0R resistors are required. It’s made a HUGE difference to the overall video quality in my module builds.

I’m just kidding!!! Just use an old piece of wire :slight_smile:

3 Likes

FYI I tried to order from Rochester and I got this email:

Hello,

Thank you for your order, hoping you can help with some further information. Please help with all questions in order to process the order.

1. Please can you provide a copy of your business license and a link to your website?
  2. Is your company an OEM, CM, Reseller, or freight forwarder?
  3. Please can you confirm the device that the part(s) will be used in?

I’m still gonna reply to that but I feel like they are going to reject me for not being a real business?

1 Like

Fingers crossed somebody at Rochester reacts positively to your email @jeffbbz :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

They asked me the same questions so I made a web site and directed them to it and they were happy with that. If you run into problems I’m happy to submit the request and get them sent to your address.

2 Likes

Curious about that, since I’m planning a Rochester order very soon… would they have any reason to not sell to hobbyists?

1 Like

We’ll find out because I decided to be semi-honest with them. I made it sound like I run a private video service+ device repair/building deal and didn’t have a site and etc.

I couldn’t find anywhere on the site that you had to be a business. And they let me register and order with a gmail address.

If they reject me I’ll either try again with my work email and site (and hope they don’t really pay attention that its not related at all) or go with @VisibleSignals’s generous offer.

3 Likes

Speaking of pretending to be a business, I got quite a few parts for my upcoming builds directly from Texas Instrument’s site. You do have to pretend to be from a business, and have a website and a work email, but not much else and I just provided my unrelated ones from my work and although i haven’t gotten them yet, everything has shipped with no problems. The LM6172IN/NOPB’s are cheaper there than anywhere except Rochester and there’s no minimum order. Same goes for most of the other TI chips n’ such.

3 Likes

Whelp. I was rejected. Rochester said that TI prohibits them from selling to anyone but distributors.

Interesting. And crappy :frowning:

Given then that I’ve already gotten across the line with them I am happy to help out with a group buy if it makes financial sense. If they’re being pissy then they may not want to post to a different address to the one I’ve used previously, which would mean they end up going USA -> Australia -> wherever. Delivery to me was <1 week last time, and my cost (including postage) was AUD$412.11 for a quantity of 120.

Anyway, my offer is out there, but if you can find a northern hemisphere company to sort it out that would probably be a better option.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if I can substitute C18 and C19 220uF 6.3V Capacitors for 470uF OR 100uF on the Cadet II RGB Encoder? It forms part of the composite output from the AD724 along with a 75 ohm resistor. My gut instinct is that it its probably fine as the datasheet for AD724 doesn’t seem to go too specific on why it need the 220uF other than for passing low frequency.

I think it’ll be fine. They’re only there to eliminate any DC offset on the AD724 composite outputs. At worst, you can just try it out (there’s no way other values will cause any permanent problems) and if something isn’t right then try swapping them.

2 Likes

Thanks again @sean for posting the link about the Rochester deal back in August :+1:t3:
I got a batch of 120 so if anyone in Europe is in need od a few, please let me know. I’ve nearly gotten through the first 40, got 3 rows like in @VisibleSignals’s photo a couple of months back.

1 Like