[WIP] SNOW - Analog video noise

I think I will make a dedicated filter module for that (am working on that already)

The jumper pads are a good idea. I’ll add that!
I have to add some test / reference pads anyway, for the trimmer adjustments

This analog noise is very interesting. I will keep working on it. A version with more options will follow!
I also want to add digital noise, which looks totally different and useful too!

3 Likes

We can do a group order for the Berlin heads who are interested :+1:t3::grinning:
@horacio2222 @destroythings @cyberboy666

1 Like

I just ordered the boards (black pcb & panel)
We’ll see if they are bug-free. :microbe:

5 Likes

Is this related to the noise v8? On your post about using that for video I really loved how the range jumpers produced this thick blocky noise from low frequency ( 00.51 on https://vimeo.com/438658284 ). Is that the low frequency 2nd noise on this one?

1 Like

no, this one is new!
(analog noise vs digital, like I hinted above)

I will make the Noise v8 - video convertion later.

1 Like

Microcontroller based for the digital noise section?
It will be cool to be able to program your own noises :slight_smile:
There’s already some really nice perlin noise libraries. I could help with that.

4 Likes

Yes i’m in for one if you wanna sort out a group order.

1 Like

What frequency does this operate at? Is it a MHz noise source?

2 Likes

Hi Dave!

Based on the length of the short white lines in the screen snapshots Martijn included at the top of this post it looks to me like it’s effectively in the low MHz range. The circuit schematic is also there - basically a transistor with unconnected collector (like the 2N2172 audio noise sources that used to be all the rage back in the day - see also http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/NOISECORNREV01/NOISECORNREV01.php for Ray Wilson’s audio noise source, basically the same thing but lower bandwidth.)

When I get my board for this I’m going to try a few different transistors (I have several boxes full of obscure ones) and see what sort of variations I can coax out of it.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this one.

Based on the pictures I do wish it could get even further into the pure snow region though.
In your pictures, do you know what the first-stage gain trimpot was set to?
(I suspect you may be losing some high-end to the Gain-bandwidth of the amp)

correct.
The first pictures are just the first experiments.
with adjustments to the highpass filter caps , higher frequencies are reachable. (I got very snowy results!)
I’ll find the best values and make a MOD guide when the pcb is tested and ready.

4 Likes

The PCBs came in today!
I’ll start soldering tomorrow

5 Likes

Are there gonna be any kits available or will these all be completed modules?

1 Like

Please count me in for an assembled snow module.

1 Like

Mark me down for one PCB/panel set, too. If you have anything else in the works, happy to wait until the next one gets released to save a bit with higher shipping costs.

1 Like

Update:
I tagged a few of the Berlin heads but forgot I’d already done it a couple of weeks ago in this thread :pensive:

Old post:
Anyone in Berlin wants to build this new noise module if Martijn gives the thumbs up tomorrow or the day after? We can split the shipping costs.
Deleted the tags.

1 Like

@vhsdestroyer: pcbs, kits and build modules!

@Robbertunist: I’m still in quarantaine for a week or so, this means that I will start with the orders after that.

When the module is tested OK, I’ll start an order thread!

4 Likes

Stay safe & healthy Martijn :+1:t3:
Definitely no rush as there’s no deadlines regarding gigs & such atm :sweat_smile:

test build one. the excitement before plugging it in!
(I don’t have the correct switch, so there is a hole :slight_smile:
I installed a jumperheader.

12 Likes

I made a dumb mistake on the pcb. I’ll keep testing to see if I can fix this easily. else I’ll reorder the pcb’s.
prototypes :microbe:

2 Likes