Video DIY Modules 2022

Agreed. Cadet’s were my only route into hardware video synthesis when I started out so in terms of accessibility I think preserving 4HP, or at least the low cost, is really important. Dual / Triple modules are fine but I think keeping cost of admission down for a basic system will benefit the community.

6 Likes

I’m all for dual (or triple) modules.

8 or 12HP is fine by me.
A video modular is also about performing, so a bit more space on the panel is a good thing.
Most of my modules are 8HP or bigger.
The new ones will have sandwiched pcbs, as I prefer modules with minimal depth and vertical parts

10 Likes

I don’t think so, we haven’t measured any need for that yet, and it could actually create issues rather than solve them. Input ground (from either EuroRack or DC 12V barrel) is completely isolated from the power supply/internal ground on the LZX power entry architecture, via a very nice Murata EMI choke/filter. The signal ground will get passed on the cable when you make the patch. The clean analogue rails internal to the module never get patched around the system to other modules; they are isolated to that one assembly.

This is the board with the FPGA + power on it, but I have highlighted the power stages. Red is power entry (Euro + DC), Blue is +/-5.5V switching power supplies, and Green is the +/-5V low noise LDOs.

4 Likes

I suppose there’s an important point to make amidst this discussion:

There’s nothing wrong with any DIYers or module makers sticking to EuroRack power connectors only and +/-12V inputs same as you always have, or especially with existing designs. This is more of a heads up that, if you’re selling modules in the future, you might have some potential new users who started with Gen3 and may not have a EuroRack power supply yet. As long as you clearly mark what power connectors are supported, it is not a big issue.

The main question is how does LZX as an entity provide new reference designs that show how to make use of the new power entry options and new circuit designs? How does it serve the community best to handle that? This doesn’t have to be decided immediately, but it’s nice to get the conversation started.

7 Likes

The part number for the Bergstak headers you’re using would help and seeing a generalized pin out for them, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We do have source files prepared for a release, we just wanted to get through the launch of the first 5 modules before doing an official release. But I can at least share part numbers and pin outs.

This is on the bottom side of the power entry PCB. This shows the fpga12’s full pinout, but the main things you’re looking for are the +/-5V and GND output power connections.

LZX power entry PCB connector: 10144518-061802LF
Your custom host board’s connector: 10144518-064802LF

These are the only 2x header partnumbers used on any Gen3 module assembly. There are some height variants that are compatible, you can see the full matrix of options in the Bergstak datasheets. With these exact partnumbers the mounting height between boards is set at 8mm. We use M3 8mm brass standoffs at mounting points both above and below the connector to ensure robust contact between connectors. So you’ll need some dimensional data as well. We’ll get all of this together soon.

9 Likes

Super kind of you to share any of this info early and look forward to the OEM power backpack releases when the time is right.

3 Likes

OEM power backpack releases

I think ultimately that’s the next step! Once we open that up, the DIY community and other module makers can find ways to use this board in ways that I can’t quite imagine yet, because I am working within the context of maintaining a core product line.

Do we have anyone experienced in KiCad and/or Eagle who would be interested in helping prepare template PCB files for assemblies that would use the hosting connector? We are all Diptrace here, and it would be good if the release included a few other CAD packages in its example files.

5 Likes

Do you mean library files for importing the assembled backpack as a whole? I use Eagle exclusively.

1 Like

Do you mean library files for importing the assembled backpack as a whole? I use Eagle exclusively.

Right, it would be good if someone who uses Eagle could take our Diptrace board file for a “host template PCB”, and convert or recreate it in Eagle. Possibly set up an EAGLE source library for LZX parts based on the Diptrace ones. (For this particular board, the only part is the connector.) That way we have a confirmed reference project in Eagle format as part of the public release. I worry about providing nothing but Diptrace source files for less experienced tinkerers who may want to use the template file. If you’ve got some time and want to help, shoot me a message.

4 Likes