Video Art Zine // Open Call for Submissions

Quick Update: Thank you to everyone who has sent in work so far! I’ve gotten lots of good stuff to work with, and the number of contributors is approaching the minimum number that I’m aiming for. (10 so far, aiming for 12-16.) The response has been super encouraging, please keep 'em coming!

4 Likes

I should be getting in the studio in the next couple days I’ll get something sent along for sure
I need to re read about criteria for sending things in before that

1 Like

Last Call!
It’s about time to start getting into the next phase of things. If you’d still like to send in some work, please send it in this week or at least let me know it’s on the way. We reached the minimum number of contributors that I was hoping for, yet there is still room for a few more!

Thanks!
Jeff

4 Likes

Hi jevergreen

I’ve just dumped the contents of my phone to the computer - I’ll grab a few stills this week and send them over - but I will be busy with other things too!

Jim

1 Like

will do sorry about the lateness

OK I managed to do this and uploaded 5 images
It’ll be interesting to see how they come out - if they are selected
Here’s a few examples:

1 Like

@wednesdayayay No sweat! Anytime this week is cool.

1 Like

UPDATE: I’m happy to say that enough submissions came in so there is now enough for two issues of the zine! I’m going to start playing around with things and reach back out to everyone for feedback before anything goes to print. Thanks to everyone who took a moment to send something in! I’ll be in touch soon. Cheers! /Jeff

6 Likes

hey @Fuzzy_Pause, it turned out to be somehow off topic here but I think it’s a great idea…why don’t you start a whole new topic so that it gets more attention and we talk about it? You could just recycle the same text or maybe a moderator could even split your post from this topic.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement @pixelflowers :slight_smile:

If there are enough other people interested in some kind of collaborative-ominbus of “narrative” video synthesizer art It’d be a lot of fun to spin this off into another topic, though unlike @jevergreen I don’t have much of (really any) background in print media so I’m not sure how good I’d be at spearheading a zine or something similar, but it certainly sounds like a fun challenge.

I’ve got a few other in-progress little projects combining animation/illustration and video synthesis and will definitely share them here (if they turn out worth sharing). Though maybe they’ll fit better into the community video gallery.

Project Update:
Two months on, I’ve made moderate progress in sorting and processing the images. More content was submitted than I knew what to do with, which was both awesome and daunting, given that it was so much more than expected. While weighing the options and experimenting with various separations and layouts, I ended up getting off track and running low on creative energy at the same time, and I had to put it on hold while turning my attention toward work/life things. In short, I just got overwhelmed, and I apologize for going silent for a bit.

Formally speaking, given the wide range of colors, I came to the conclusion that it will make the most sense to print the majority of images in a variation of 4 process colors, something close to CMYK, while representing a few pages with 1-4 spot colors. This will make it easier as it will standardize the format and allow for greater flexibility in the layout.

I hope to make a big push just after Thanksgiving (US holiday, end of the Nov), when the university I work at goes all online for the remainder of the semester. Best Wishes to everyone out there!

9 Likes

It is a strange time we live in, so don’t worry about taking longer.
I really love your idea of making printed media out of video synth output. especially with riso print!
I do have to say, I’m super curious on how it is going to look like :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

On so many levels, just about the worst possible time to accomplish anything that requires active problem-solving.

1 Like

This year, even the most the day-to-day routines have often felt surreal. : )

1 Like

Hey Y’all,
I’m ready to make another issue of Video Art Zine! VAZ 2.0 will be the second annual release of a zine focusing on experimental video artwork being produced currently, with a special interest in hardware, DIY, coding, and modular synthesis techniques. The stencil-printed booklet will retain the formatting of issues 1.1+1.2, with each pair of facing pages focused on each artist contribution, printed on a Riso duplicator in a range of spot colors to get a vibrant approximation of the source images. Same as previous issues, my hope that both content and thematic character will emerge from a community minded approach, allowing for a spontaneous organization of material.

For this issue, in addition to being exclusively image stills, I’m hoping to include page submissions that offer content like patch explanations, circuit diagrams, related studio photography (along the lines of DIY workbench pics and not ‘check out my monster case’ pics), and likewise. I’m happy to help with layouts of info/text pages if you can help provide the content.

The final timeline, page count, and edition size is somewhat dependent on interest and submissions, but I am aiming to publish something before the end of 2023. Approximate specs would be: 24-36 pages, 6x8 inches, 2-4 colors, all pages full bleed, bound with saddle staples, in run of around 150 copies. Here is a video of what last year’s booklets looked like.

I don’t have a great distribution plan, but I go to book fairs once or twice per year and otherwise have them available online. Some highlights for the pilot issue include an online purchase by the Museum of Modern Art, and having them stocked by New York independent bookstore Printed Matter, and the experimental video studio, Phase Space.

In exchange for participating, I can offer a couple of copies of the zine, and as many additional copies as you’d like at the cost to produce them (probably around $10 per booklet). If you have any questions regarding formatting, or whatever, please email me: jeffrey.evergreen@gmail.com.

10 Likes

I want in this time!

1 Like

Glad to see this happening again–count me in, too!

1 Like

I’m up for doing this again!

1 Like

W007!! The first round was delightful and I’m all in again if there’s room. Would totally stand down to give space for new voices if need be. Either way I’m stoked and will pick up copes no matter what! Thank you for starting this up again.

1 Like

I submitted this time :slight_smile:

1 Like