Pacific Northwest opportunities for meeting up?

Hi! Are there any events video/glitch artists are likely to be at in Seattle or Portland? I know the general modular scene and some video art crews but glitch is a smaller subset and I’d love to pick brains on where someone would get started with minimal kit already.

1 Like

I don’t live in the PNW but check out Modular8’s internet presence. They host meetups every now and again. Would be a good starting point to talk to people, at least. Also BPMC is based in Portland. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU8WFj5BXU5WIQ6wb2_qs0Q

2 Likes

Yeah, I went to the Muffwiggler shop now and then, and am familiar with Modular8 and the Volt divers, modular video is a bit nascent so i’m unsure who to speak with in the area still. BPMC is definitely there, but I’m unsure what he organizes locally!

1 Like

Lzx is based in Portland. They organize ‘video mixer’ events with a few other places like lumen and I believe bpmc.

2 Likes

OH! I vaguely recalled them being elsewhere, but according to the internet they moved in 2015, so I’m not surprised I somehow missed the move.

I wonder how to get in the know for those events.

1 Like

Slowly retreating from shell and interested to know about Portland/Seattle video art ongoings.

1 Like

There are ton of video art folks here in Portland, but no regular events. Cathode Ray Consortium used to organize some meetups (mentioned by Phil earlier in this thread) in pre-Covid times, and I just checked in with Jason today to start some initial conversations about restarting something like that with support from Synth Library Portland. Will post here with updates!

3 Likes

Neat, thanks! With enough notice i’d be happy to make the drive there.

Video Mixer events in Portland are back, as promised!

April 1st at CETI on the PSU campus:

It’s free but requires RSVP.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ve at least followed the events so i can make plans to take a trip from WA.

It looks like June 10th is our most likely date for the next Video Mixer! The one last weekend went very well.

3 Likes

Yep, it’ll be 6/10 1:30 - 3:30PM at the same location and will post an event link for RSVPing once it’s ready.

2 Likes

Next Portland, OR Video Mixer where Jon Daries demonstrates his RETINA CMOS video synth is happening on 6/10. We’ll have other video gear out to experiment with after the talk. Free, just RSVP.

4 Likes

The next Video Mixer in Portland is coming up on 7/29 1:30-3:30PM and we’re delighted to have @creatorlars join us as the speaker! Free, just please RSVP so the university doesn’t get mad at me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So stoked for this!! The Video Mixers are fantastic, thank you @rempesm!

1 Like

We have another Video Mixer coming up in Portland on 9/16 1:30 - 3:30PM. This time we’re excited to have Andrei Jay and Paloma Kop as our speakers.

We’ll have the usual variety of video gear set up for hands-on experimentation but Andrei will also be bringing their Video Synthesis Ecosphere Raspberry Pi (VSERPI) based video synths and the Gravity Waaaves video mixer.

Free, just RSVP at the link!

6 Likes

So awesome!! Thank you again

1 Like

The next Video Mixer in Portland is coming up on 11/4 1:30-3:30PM and we’re looking forward to having Aaron Ross @dryodryo join us as the speaker! We’ll have the usual array of video tools out to experiment with. Free, just please RSVP.

2 Likes

Many thanks to @rempesm, Synth Library Portland, and CETI! I’ll be sharing some new work that hasn’t premiered publicly. Really excited for an open convo with other artists, established and emerging.

Examples of my work are here:

Thanks,

Aaron

2 Likes

EDIT: This has been moved to 1/21, 2-4PM:

Next Portland Video Mixer is coming up on 1/20 2-4PM.

Thomas Fang and I are going to talk about scan processing and oscillographics at the start. After that we’ll have a chunk of our studios out for folks to experiment with video hardware. Come out if you’re in the PNW area!

Free but RSVP here so the university that hosts us doesn’t get mad at me. Video Mixer January 2024 Tickets, Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 2:00 PM | Eventbrite

3 Likes