LZX Status Update 6/25/2022

So whats up with the chromagnon? Whats the actual Status and are there any news?

1 Like

After the TBC2 firmware is released, I’ll be able to resume work on Chromagnon. We are a very small team, and have to serialize our efforts. The reason we’re releasing new modules right now is so that we can survive as a business to finish the Chromagnon project, which has suffered long delays for more than a few reasons! We discontinued most of our product line when Chromagnon was announced, so it left us without a product catalog to survive on when the delays hit us. I’m looking forward to celebrating the TBC2 launch and being back on the Chromagnon track.

19 Likes

I got this to work on a Tektronix 650HR-C in RGB mode! My rescan setup won’t do it justice it at the moment but the scanlines look great in shape synthesis.

Can the manual be amended to show this timing is possible?

It’s 1111xxx1 for 240p60 in RGB colorspace.

EDIT: Here’s a halfway decent rescan and a rougher closeup so you can see both the aperture grill and blanked scanlines more or less more clearly. Those edges, though.

10 Likes

Reminds me of when Apple killed FCP 7… glad we have modules available again now and LZX is still here. :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

This might have been asked already…but with TBC2, VC, Memory Palace, etc. is there a preferred Sync Master? I typically use the VC as master. Just wondering if TBC2 should be master in a setup with those modules or doesn’t matter keeping VC as master and TBC2 slaved too.

1 Like

Not sure but one thing to bear in mind is that the component in on VC is not a TBC/FS so if bringing in multiple external sources is part of your workflow not having VC as LZX house Sync (master/parent) might make using that input more challenging.

All the Gen3 modules (including TBC2, Chromagnon, ESG3) with sync generator functions are crystal clocked sync generators with external sync capability. (So technically they are all time base correctors, but not all frame synchronizers!)

So there’s no advantage or disadvantage to which one you use as sync master. It’s just whichever module doesn’t have anything patched to the sync input jack.

There’s also no problems with continuing to use Visual Cortex as your sync generator either – it’s a very stable sync gen, with a similar architecture as Gen3 (a dedicated FPGA/CPLD generator running off a base 27MHz VCXO).

I would avoid using Memory Palace as sync generator – the earlier units had some issues, that were then corrected. But it doesn’t have as ideal of a sync transmission line as the Gen3 modules do.

5 Likes

Oh, you tease! :slight_smile:

2 Likes