Cadet/Castle components sources and substitutions

Mine are M732F…

1 Like

Hey guys,

LT1251 and LT1256 (DIP) seem to have nearly doubled in price in the past year or so, and the best price I can find now is USD$13.50 or more per each (Arrow, link above from Aug 2018).

I need a few for some Cadet builds - does anyone have a secret source they’re willing to share? No dodgy ebay seller links please, unless you vouch for them personally :-\

For reference, I tried soldering an SOIC LT1256 into a dip socket, using tiny wires, and it was no fun whatsoever and took over an hour… so not something I’d recommend :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s possible to get 2x of each as a free sample from Analog Electronics: https://www.analog.com/en/products/lt1251.html#product-samplebuy

2 Likes

don’t forget to get samples of both TH and SMD . of all interesting IC’s they have!
(better make the most of the free samples, I mean)

2 Likes

I’m building some more Cadet modules (for somebody else) and am wondering if I should use IC sockets.

1 Like

I never use IC sockets anymore.

1 Like

why not? interference?

1 Like

I originally read about possible interference so that was part of my reasoning. My other reasoning is that I had stopped using them for audio DIY years prior so I went with consistency on my builds. I see it as fewer parts to inventory, fewer parts to fiddle with and a reduced opportunity for errors on my end as well as for the end user. With SMD being so widespread and the lack of need to use sockets for SMD ICs, I figured it’s an old habit that doesn’t really need to continue for me. In my experience, I haven’t needed to replace ICs and in those cases it’s never been that hard to de-solder and replace.

1 Like

I go for socketless , I think. It feels weird though. shoes without socks
The ATMEL IC gets a socket. just in case…

1 Like

FYI I posted about component substitutions (BS170, 15uF MLCC) for the Cadet IV Ramps DIY module here: Cadet IV Ramps uncommon component substitutions

1 Like

About to order parts for the Scaler and my best option so far doesn’t have the 0R resistor, but it does have a 0.1R resistor, will it work regardless? I would order from Mouser, but I really don’t want to spend 20 euros on shipping (orders over 50 euros are free, and I’m barely over 10 euros…).

A 0R resistor is a piece of wire with no resistance, so you can cut the leg off a resistor or other component and use that instead :slight_smile: 0.1R will also be just fine.

3 Likes

The trick is to order a number of modules worth of parts at once - so you get over the 50€ - actually works out at 60€ as that is pre VAT price

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve done that before, but I don’t currently have any other plans except for stuff I already have on my table.

Yeah been there… I’ve got a couple of modules awaiting side adjustable trimmers… and nothing else in the pipeline… so they can wait a bit longer until there’s something else I need…

Some of us in the city where I live get together occasionally to pool our orders and share the postage costs. But obviously that only works if you know others nearby!

1 Like

Yeah, a friend needed something so he got in on the order, but the shipping from that place was only 2,9 euro regardless. Sadly they were out of TL072’s, but a guy on forum was able to hook me up :D.

TL072 should be common enough that your local bricks and mortar store stock them.

The two stores in town have some resistor packs but that’s about it.

That’s crap, sorry :frowning_face: