Vidiot + Intensity Shuttle + Ninja Inferno

Hey everyone! We’re interested in the best ways to upscale our Composite output from the Vidiot to HD formats while retaining the charm and character of the low-resolution signal. The BM Intensity Shuttle has been working well for this on the PC, but we’d like to record directly to the Ninja Inferno studio monitor as well – which has no Composite inputs to pair with the SD pass-through on the Intensity Shuttle.

Has anyone tried the BM Intensity + Atomos Ninja Inferno combination, and have any workflow tips or preferences? Thanks!

The Memory Palace will be able to upscale composite to DVI/HDMI.

I would recommend dedicated converters, like the Blackmagic Analog-to-SDI Mini Converter. If you need HDMI or upscaling, I use a Blackmagic UpDownCross (SDI upscale) and then SDI-to-HDMI micro converter. In other words, get your signal to SDI, then buy whatever converters get it ready for your recipient device. I’ve got the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K (like the ninja inferno I think) that I use for recording.

I was using the term upscale pretty loosely. But the word here is that composite SD signals look very good when processed through the MP and out the HD digital output.

Thanks for the concise hardware chain, Lars. I’m still new to this, but the logic of that hardware path has helped me better differentiate what’s going on with the different video standards along the way, and the step-wise application of the conversions. Cheers!

@northerntao Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. We have a Memory Palace on order, hopefully we made it in with the first wave! Very excited about the (endless) possibilities there, as well as the native digital hardware (TBC2 whatwhat!)